550 xp muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncturkeypro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New to the site but have been reading stuff on here for a while. My family have been Stihl users since the 70's and I still love em. I won a husky 550 xp in a local turkey calling contest and have been reading great things about the xp line of saws since I got it. Any way, I don't have any money in it so I figured I would mess with it a little. I don't feel comfortable trying a muffler mod without some guidance so I was wondering if you guys could recommend someone to do the work and make it look good? Also what would that cost? Is there anyone in NC that does chainsaw mods? Thanks for any help and glad to be a new member here. Lots of knowledge here.

You can drill one hole under the deflector beside the original hole or go whole hog and cut the deflector off and gut it and weld another on.

I am looking for someone to do the muffler work and have it look good. Is Mr Snelling the man to talk to? If so how do I contact him? Thanks again

Brad may have time to do it. How quick are you wanting it done?

Within the next two or three weeks would be nice. Does he have a phone number or website to get in touch with him?

You can do this yourself. Personally, I recommend to not gut it. Even though a small saw, they get way too loud. I like to open up a larger hole in the baffle from the back side. I then grind a hole beside the existing outlet under the factory deflector. Leave the pipe intact.

Thanks for the reply fellas. I have a few bits with my Dremel that I can probably make work. The hole I cut beside the existing outlet... Bout how big would you go?

You could just use a drill.i think i used a. 1/2" bit for my 272. Richened up the carb a hair and she keeps on a tickin. Got a nice dirt bikey sound.

Got the muffler done tonight over a 6 pack of cold barley waters! Sounds amazing and can't wait to put it to wood. I'm assuming the auto-tune will figure out what I've done. I will post back on Saturday when I buck some red oak I have piled up. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Latest posts

Back