550 XP Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky288XP

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've had two new 550's that I purchased in December last year. They both ran fine for about a month, but now I'm having warm start/ cold blooded issues. On cold starts it takes about a minute to warm up, then runs fine. After shutting the saw down, (now a warm start) it takes about 5-8 pulls to get the saw started. Upon warm starting, the saw sometimes takes 30 sec to a minute to run proper again.

Any ideas, on possible problems. My local dealer is a moron, so I'm on my own. I've been using my old 346's and shindaiwa 488's because the 550's are unreliable in the tree. We run the saws everyday with our tree care company.

I had a very early 550 with the same problem. It was fixed under warranty. They told me the jets were to small in the carb. Haven't had a problem since.

No, I'm not setting the fast idle when warm starting. How can I tell if the saw is an early 550?

Fast idle for warm re-start is the procedure with AT saws. This is per the instructions and live demonstration by a CJ Logging representative and the Woodsmens Filed Days in Boonville NY last month.

He used a 562 and demonstrated that by not setting the fast idle the saw was very stubborn to start when warm.. And then after setting the fast idle, it would fire right up in 1 or 2 pulls.

I have found this to be the correct procedure on our 550 we have at my work as well..

I suggest giving that a try.

2-562xp's 1-550xp and 1 -260 and none of them need fast idle to restart hot or warm.
Are they stock? My ported 562 doesn't need it anymore (fast idle), but it always did before. My 550 always needs it to restart first pull. Otherwise out needs at least 3 or 4 sometimes more.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back