Stihl 064AV - Won't latch in "warm choke" position

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GambierPoint

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a great 064AV that I use with an Alaskan mill. Absolutely love the saw. I do have two issues that would be nice to solve, the biggest one being #1

1. the choke will not go into the "warm start" position. It holds properly in "on" or "cold start" position but will not latch in the "warm start" position. Any thoughts on what might be wrong/how to fix?
(warm starting is not typically a problem, it starts on the first or second pull in the "on" position after she is running and warmed up for a few minutes)

2. the saw is a pig to start when cold, in or out of the mill... it has no decomp valve and I have to take the 25" bar/chain off and get the saw started (which is reasonably easy to do and works reliably). I'm decently strong for late 50's and have tried drop starting (bar on, on or off the mill) but to no avail. Taking off the bar/chain is the only way I have found to get it going at the start of the day.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Well, I'll take a stab at it. There are several issues that can cause that and I have chased it a bit. Could be the trigger is worn, could be the control shaft, could be the linkage. I have replaced them all on an 066 which works pretty much the same.
If you replace those there isn't much else involved.

Not a complete fix but would it not be easier to remove the airfilter cover and airfilter and then give it a shot or two of mix into the carb as a primer. Works well for me when starting saws that have sat for months and all the fuel has drained or evaporated from the carb and pickup line.

Had the same problem with one of the Stihl models with the master control lever. The indent notch in the lever was either not manufactured properly or worn badly and not deep enough to hold the lever in the fast idle position. Just made the notch deeper and all was well.

Well, I'll take a stab at it. There are several issues that can cause that and I have chased it a bit. Could be the trigger is worn, could be the control shaft, could be the linkage. I have replaced them all on an 066 which works pretty much the same.
If you replace those there isn't much else involved.
Thanks ZeroJunk! I'll check those out and possibly get some replacement parts.
Cheers!

Not a complete fix but would it not be easier to remove the airfilter cover and airfilter and then give it a shot or two of mix into the carb as a primer. Works well for me when starting saws that have sat for months and all the fuel has drained or evaporated from the carb and pickup line.
Thanks pioneerguy600. I have done that in the past and will likely try it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Had the same problem with one of the Stihl models with the master control lever. The indent notch in the lever was either not manufactured properly or worn badly and not deep enough to hold the lever in the fast idle position. Just made the notch deeper and all was well.
Thanks Old2stroke... I'll take a look at it closer and make the notch deeper or possibly replace the lever.

Back