576xp rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone throw a 20" bar on these saws? Think thats a little small?

I wouldn't call 20" small. 24" bar fits great, I'd say an 18" or shorter would be small on this saw.

I wouldn't call 20" small. 24" bar fits great, I'd say an 18" or shorter would be small on this saw.
I like the 20", right now has a 28" which for me is just to big for pulling it out and bucking some smaller stuff.

With the short dogs a 20 is very useful. With the west coast dogs I would go to a 24. Ran the normal dogs for a year, switched to the big ones. A 20 is less useful now but has its place.

I agree with that, this saw is just too heavy to use with just a 20". But its an effortless cut

Mine does well with a 20 in bar and an 8 pin rim. Very well in fact. It is my go to for when I need to buck wood in a hurry.

Hey Tenderfoot had to update this, after rebuilding the saw and making a few test cuts the saw has say unused because of no wood. Yesterday my friend dropped a small load of logs here for me and I was so excited to pick that saw up for its first real use at bucking. They werent the biggest logs (12") but man did that saw just rip through them with ease!! I used the new 20" bar on them and the speed of it just sent beautiful chips flying!! Wish I had more wood. This winter has brought things to a stand still and the ground is too soft to go noodle a huge load I have access to. But im very impressed on the smoothness and power of this saw, definitely a contender against my 441. (Might be better) lol. Im gonna run them head to head when I get at that pile.

Hey Tenderfoot had to update this, after rebuilding the saw and making a few test cuts the saw has say unused because of no wood. Yesterday my friend dropped a small load of logs here for me and I was so excited to pick that saw up for its first real use at bucking. They werent the biggest logs (12") but man did that saw just rip through them with ease!! I used the new 20" bar on them and the speed of it just sent beautiful chips flying!! Wish I had more wood. This winter has brought things to a stand still and the ground is too soft to go noodle a huge load I have access to. But im very impressed on the smoothness and power of this saw, definitely a contender against my 441. (Might be better) lol. Im gonna run them head to head when I get at that pile.
Not bad! Good saws for what they are and that smoothness is what sells them. Not suprised it out does a 441. The 441 spins up faster but does not seem to have as much grunt.

Also another tip I forgot earlier, it put a little light grease on the air filter. the plastic on plastic seal is not very good. I Put it on the intake side of things in the groove you lock the filter into so it seals up better. Keeps all the grit and grim out, just dont put on too much so it wont get sucked into the carb.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 12
Not bad! Good saws for what they are and that smoothness is what sells them. Not suprised it out does a 441. The 441 spins up faster but does not seem to have as much grunt.

Also another tip I forgot earlier, it put a little light grease on the air filter. the plastic on plastic seal is not very good. I Put it on the intake side of things in the groove you lock the filter into so it seals up better. Keeps all the grit and grim out, just dont put on too much so it wont get sucked into the carb.
Thanks for the tip, I will do that.

Thanks for the tip, I will do that.
No problem. Saves a headache down the road. I always do it after I blow my filters out (inside out) when they get removed. That and pulling the choke to keep debris out of the carb.

Glad you wound up with something you like. With how little fuel you burn at the end of the day the extra weight is worth it IMO. They do OK with a 28 in hardwood, but they really seem designed around a 24 in bar with full comp chain on it. Seems to be the sweet spot on them. In softwoods or soft hard woods (poplars or red maple) they do fine with a 28.

I'm also wondering if the 575xp and 576xp pistons are the same. Meteor only makes one for the 575xp but they are the same diameter.
The piston rings have the same OEM P/N.
Wrist pin bearings are the same.
The cylinders are completely different (transfer ports) and not interchangeable.
The pistons "look" the same on the fiche but I can't compare directly because the 575 piston is individual but the 576 is the piston/rings/wrist pin/clips.

You mentioned the aftermarket was shorter but that might have been comparing OEM to aftermarket and not 575 to 576?
Did you happen to compare the squish?

$80 for that saw is a ridiculous steal. That guy could have sold it for way more, it looks almost new.

Back