6401 b/b possible experiment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no major noticable power difference between the OEM 79cc top end and the 84cc BB top end. I've run both.
As far as people saying that there isn't a major difference in cutting speed between the two in smaller wood just lean heavily on both and you'll change your mind. The 79cc/84cc top ends will pump the 65cc top end. Just letting the saw self feed with gravity shows little difference.
I can say however that a number of the BB kits have shown pretty marginal, inconsistant quality and you never quite know what you're going to get until you open the box. Firstly, never, ever, trust the rings on an imported BB kit. Buy some Cabers alongside the kit. One thing I have noticed with the Chinese kits I've imported is a massive variation in ring quality. I've had to replace far too many BB kits while testing them and selling them to trust their rings anymore. Cabers only from now on and for 10 odd bucks a worthwhile investment. You'll also tend to see a compression increase with the Cabers across many kits - up to 15psi in the 372XP BB kits ;)

There is no major noticable power difference between the OEM 79cc top end and the 84cc BB top end. I've run both.
As far as people saying that there isn't a major difference in cutting speed between the two in smaller wood just lean heavily on both and you'll change your mind. The 79cc/84cc top ends will pump the 65cc top end. Just letting the saw self feed with gravity shows little difference.
I can say however that a number of the BB kits have shown pretty marginal, inconsistant quality and you never quite know what you're going to get until you open the box. Firstly, never, ever, trust the rings on an imported BB kit. Buy some Cabers alongside the kit. One thing I have noticed with the Chinese kits I've imported is a massive variation in ring quality. I've had to replace far too many BB kits while testing them and selling them to trust their rings anymore. Cabers only from now on and for 10 odd bucks a worthwhile investment. You'll also tend to see a compression increase with the Cabers across many kits - up to 15psi in the 372XP BB kits ;)

Matt, I used the rings that came with the Chinese 036 kit, it runs but only has 130psi, I'm going to swap them for Cabers... you did try to warn me last Friday :hmm3grin2orange:

The 372BB kits I use are Nikasil plated and the compression is about 160psi out of the box. That is without a base gasket, so subtract 5-10psi, but it is still a very respectable number for a 372.

The 372BB kits I use are Nikasil plated and the compression is about 160psi out of the box. That is without a base gasket, so subtract 5-10psi, but it is still a very respectable number for a 372.

Yeah not all kits have bad rings mate. The first lot of 6401BB kits I got in had excellent rings but they went south quickly after that with future batches.
Unfortunately some of the rings that look good aren't. You quite often find that out after they've dropped into a port and pulled the top off a piston :( A new piston with Caber rings in the same cylinder and problem solved.

Latest posts

Back