660 muffler ? for Lake and the experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
I am finally getting around to opening up the muffler on my 660 which is the newer version with 1 small exhaust hole and no foam in the air filter. I have researched a lot of post on this subject but have a few questions. First can I get good results by simply opening the existing hole to .63 inches or will dual porting still be a lot better. If I must dual port it for best results what size should the holes be. Finally will I have to remove the limiter caps to richen the saw up enough with this minor mod?

Keep in mind I do not want to buy the factory dual port cover because in my opinion it is over priced and does not look good. I would prefer to keep the exhaust flowing 1 direction for felling purposes but If a Dual port will keep my saw running a little cooler and more powerful I will go that route. Thanks for the help.

sILlogger

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
i remove the baffle from within the muffler...the drill out the spotweld to the back w/o going all the way thru(this will save you some brazing/welding) and drill out the welds on the top of the baffle. remove baffle, weld/braze up holes. i open up my exhaust port to around 9/16". yes you will have to remove the limiter caps to richen the carb.

Four Paws

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am finally getting around to opening up the muffler on my 660 which is the newer version with 1 small exhaust hole and no foam in the air filter. I have researched a lot of post on this subject but have a few questions. First can I get good results by simply opening the existing hole to .63 inches or will dual porting still be a lot better. If I must dual port it for best results what size should the holes be. Finally will I have to remove the limiter caps to richen the saw up enough with this minor mod?

Keep in mind I do not want to buy the factory dual port cover because in my opinion it is over priced and does not look good. I would prefer to keep the exhaust flowing 1 direction for felling purposes but If a Dual port will keep my saw running a little cooler and more powerful I will go that route. Thanks for the help.

For a stock saw, somewhere around .875 - 1 sq. in. should be sufficient. Measure your exhaust port and multiply by .85 - that will give you the area of your muffler opening.

For a modified saw, it will be a good bit larger! I have gone all the way to 1.45 sq. in. on a warmed over 460 with great performance.

Josh

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remove the baffle, match the muffler to the exhaust port opening, open up my stock port at least double. I then drill a hole on the other side (starter side) hone it out, put a screen and screw on a Husky exhaust shield, and then I add the ported Stihl face plate.
That would be my mod.

OilHead

OilHead

ArboristSite Guru
Dont forget to order new limiter caps sence there arent any springs behind the needles on that model. The rebuild kit is very cheap now would be the time to attack it .

2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Nice lookin' muff Sling'r:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
I remove the baffle, match the muffler to the exhaust port opening, open up my stock port at least double. I then drill a hole on the other side (starter side) hone it out, put a screen and screw on a Husky exhaust shield, and then I add the ported Stihl face plate.
That would be my mod.

Yes...Husky part # please.. looks like a slick, no welding mod!

Latest posts