660 Thermal views, aka pretty pictures...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozhoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Redbull's testing left me with a notion to look at a saw with a thermal camera. I'm sure there's something useful that a man could do but for now, we'll call it pretty pictures. These are of a stock 660 w/ a chi-muffler. This is a Flir E8, so it's only rated for 480f but it'll go up to 536f.

At idle
FLIR0893.jpg

After 1 24" cookie
FLIR0895.jpg

After a 2nd cookie, she's pegged out :nofunny:
FLIR0897.jpg

Cylinder temp after that run
FLIR0899.jpg

3rd and final cookie
FLIR0903.jpg

Cylinder
FLIR0905.jpg

Bar looked pretty cool :picture:
FLIR0913.jpg

Use thermal imaging cameras in fire service to see through smoke. Locate victims, find seat of fire, holes in floor, impending flashover. In overhaul, can locate hot spots behind walls. Used to find cold spots in ceiling where contractor didn't insulate in attic. Now smaller, cheaper, better.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

nice tool to test 660 copper cooling plate being sold in bay
wonder how much it helps with cylinder cooling

I was thinking the exact same thing.

OP ought to contact the ebay copper cooler seller and offer to take some FLIR pics in exchange for a free copper cooler. If it works, those pics could be a big selling point.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

OP ought to contact the ebay copper cooler seller and offer to take some FLIR pics in exchange for a free copper cooler. If it works, those pics could be a big selling point.
Well considering the fact that he claims that it keeps the exhaust side cooler I'd be really interested in seeing it work if it does what he claims it does I'd buy one for each of my saw's.

Well considering the fact that he claims that it keeps the exhaust side cooler I'd be really interested in seeing it work if it does what he claims it does I'd buy one for each of my saw's.

In theory, it should help. Copper is close to double the thermal conductivity of aluminum. But aluminum is so conductive already, I'm not sure it needs any help. There's also the question of whether the gizmo impedes airflow around the alum fins, which could negate the increased conductivity. FLIR would help tell the tale...

In theory, it should help. Copper is close to double the thermal conductivity of aluminum. But aluminum is so conductive already, I'm not sure it needs any help. There's also the question of whether the gizmo impedes airflow around the alum fins, which could negate the increased conductivity. FLIR would help tell the tale...
Yep.

I’d have too much fun with one of these, especially in live view or video.

Lean out cheap saws till they melt, run different bars at WOT with zero bar oil, view the wifeys head after telling her I spent another couple thousand $ on saws “I don’t need” :mad:

The possibilities in my sick mind could be endless

Latest posts

Back