7-10A project (before & after pics.)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the McCulloch 7-10A saw I've been working on lately. The saw came from a trade with a fellow member of AS and the bar was from another AS member that replied to my want ad. It took an extra week to finish up because I had to wait for parts, but I figure the paint gained additional time to cure that way. This is an early production unit, being a 1971 or '72. The bar on it is a 28" professional .404" pitch. I haven't cut with it yet, but it does run strong and loud. This saw isn't destined to go to the museum of chainsaw history, but it looks good enough for a cutter!

The first two pictures show the "before" condition of the saw, and the following three are "after" views.

That's pretty incredible. Great job. Must have taken more than a few hours to accomplish that miracle.

Looks awesome! How long is that bar?

That saw has definitely found a better life than sitting on my shelf :)

28" with .404

Not trying to rain on your parade, and by the way very nice job. You sure with 4.3 cubic inch your gonna have enough power to run 28" of .404 full comp it looks like. COrrect me if I'm wrong. Maybe 24" would be a lot better. Just my two cents. I don't believe in overworking some of these old beasts. They have feelings too!!!!

i think mcculloch said a 10-10 would pull a 28" bar, so i think he will be fine.this is a old chainsaw not a new high hp saw with no torque.

Thanks for the compliments on the saw, fellas. :) I've tacked on a couple more pictures here, one of the 7-10 and one with its close relative my Pro-Mac 10-10S.

Lakeside--$20 for the saw if it was Stihl orange? I agree...it would be worth much less in that condition!
Snowcowboy--I don't believe that a 28" bar is too much in this case, as it is well within the original factory recommendations set by McCulloch. Slowsuki is right in that these saws have a torquey engine with lugging power. I'm sure that if one tried to bog the saw by plowing the entire bar length into a log, it could be overwhelmed. However, I am also sure by letting the saw cut its own way through, that the bar length will not prove excessive. To be quite honest, I was originally looking for a 24" bar based on balance and overall length concerns, but this one came along at a real deal so I converted the drive over to .404" and went with it.
Ray Benson--Yes, I did paint the saw in my home shop. The key to a successful paint job like this is 90% in the preparation. Remove all easily detachable items, such as the upper handle. Clean away all traces of oil, gasoline, and debris thoroughly. Sand out paint defects with some fine sandpaper (320). Spend time to carefully mask all areas from overspray, and the rest is a matter of spraying on the new finish.

Latest posts

Back