70cc Saw Bogs Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Reaction score
My son had loaned out his saw, and when he got it back, we tried cutting a large blow-down, but everytime he started sawing, it bogged down. Thought maybe it was fuel lines, cause it began leaking fuel around the casing.
He asked me to drop it off at John Deere for him. They called and said it needed a couple of gaskets . Okay, fix it.
Well; they called today, says it's a bigger problem. Will need a new $100 carb. My son gave the go-ahead to get it back to running.
My question is ~ Why would they need to chunk an entire carb?

jdcs710021.jpg

if the shop gets 75 an hr labor and 20 bucks for a kit your better off to replace the carb and know its fixed than taking the chance on rebuilding it not fixing the problem. rebuild it yourself and save lots o dollars

How old is the saw ? Efco saws have a 5 year warranty.

Since when is the JD dealer an expert on 2-stroke engines ?

My guess is that the fuel line went bad, a known high maintenance item on Efcos.

shafts inside the carb can wear out and the alum can get pitted,.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

if the shop gets 75 an hr labor and 20 bucks for a kit your better off to replace the carb and know its fixed than taking the chance on rebuilding it not fixing the problem. rebuild it yourself and save lots o dollars

Yep; they said in 1st call the gaskets were $20.

How old is the saw ? Efco saws have a 5 year warranty.

Since when is the JD dealer an expert on 2-stroke engines ?

My guess is that the fuel line went bad, a known high maintenance item on Efcos.

mtngun ; the saw was 8 years old last Christmas. He had fuel lines replaced less than 2 years ago, but thought they'd expired again.
I was in a small engine repair shop the other day, and he told me that he can only get parts at retail through John Deere, and it would be cheaper to take it to them. They have one small engine repairman at each of the two locations in my area.

Rest of the story of the chainsaw repair shop. A certain farmer here uses only John Deere chainsaws. Brought one in for the shopowner to fix. The owner told him he could not get parts for it, that he should take it to John Deere, but the farmer said "you go to John Deere and buy the parts, and I'll pay all your expenses, just fix it. So, he's been doing that ever since.

cs711.jpg

Saw is back in running order today, at the cost of $166.18 less 1/2 hour labor deducted off bill.

Latest posts

Back