9/16 chain needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bouden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just rescued an ol Von Ruden Hydra-Axe, hydraulic powered saw from a barn floor. The oil covering kept the powerhead in good shape, but the chain is worn and beyond repair. I'd like to find enough 9/16" pitch chain to make a 64DL loop. Any suggestions? The drive sprocket (direct) looks to be a pretty special spline mount, so switching to a more common chain won't be easy. Also, I'd appreciate any info on the saw. Von Ruden is still in business making hydraulic motors and valves, but nobody at the company is "old" enough to give me saw info. The fella I did speak with thought the Hydra-Axe was discontinued in the early 50s. I'd like to get the old girl cutting for our summer vintage saw cutting at my tractor club thresheree. Would have posted in the classifieds forum, but I like the feedback here better. Thanks!

Only help I can offer is have you checked Chain Saw Collectors Corner, acresinternet.com, for saw specs? I've heard the name Von Ruden, but that's about it. I'm also curious to see what info offered re 9/16 chain. Aw ra best!

My old Mall model 12a saw has 9/16 pitch chain. I figured this chain was unique to the Mall Tool company, unavailable, or both!

best!

I looked on the Collectors Corner site, and it looks like Oregon made different styles of 9/16" chain. Models would include 6C, 6L and 8AC. These are .074 gauge, and I'll need to double check my old chain, but I'm guessing this is pretty close. The pictures showed either 6 or 8 stamped into the driver.

I have a bunch of new loops of 9/16 chipper, and bulk chisel. 2 or 3 different brands. It's for sale if you want some. PM me. Dennis

Latest posts

Back