A 2-stroke is a 2-stroke is a 2-stroke, right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl4c

Extraordinarily ordinary
Reaction score
Gentlemen:
I have a two-stroke question that isn't exactly chainsaw related. I hate to clutter the forum but I don't know a where a more knowledgeable and practical bunch of 2-stroke gearheads hangs out. If I'm out of order I simply ask that the mods to move/delete the thread. Thanks in advance.

The 2-stroke devil in question is a 1996 4hp Yamaha outboard. It runs great at higher speeds (once the high speed jet kicks in) but struggles at low speed. Carb is a very typical Japanese made 2-stroke carb with the idle-air low speed jet circuit on the right side of the carb. Because this carb operates vertically it DOES have a float/bowl at the bottom. Carb is clean as a whistle. Every passageway, main jet, pilot jet, needle valve, air mixture adjusting screw, etc--including the two small holes behind the welch plug--seems in good repair and clear of obstruction. Welch plug is sealed and doesn't leak. Float is adjusted correctly (22mm to the top of the float makes it level) and the diaphragm pump has no trouble keeping the bowl full. Air mixture screw opened to factory spec (1-3/4 turn out, +/- 1/4 turn).

Symptoms:
It will run at low speed but if you try to give it throttle all at once it usually bogs down--sometimes to the point that it stalls. You have to "nurse" it through the transition from the low speed to the high speed jet. To me this generally indicates a lean condition in the low idle circuit. However, adjusting the low speed air mixture screw (to improve throttle response by enriching the low speed fuel circuit) has no effect on the problem. I can open and close the air mixture screw until the motor dies w/o having any positive effect on the throttle response.

Usually starts easily. But can be hard to restart if you let it run out of gas. [Hot from being lean?]

I have not checked the compression, but the engine doesn't look like it has enough hours on it to have poor compression--at least not from normal wear. I'm in process of borrowing a compression gauge from my father, but I'm fairly certain it will confirm good compression. Engine runs very strong on the high speed jet.

I may be getting a little bit of fuel puddling between the carb and the reed valve assembly. It's not much and it may be normal for this engine. The single piston operates in a horizontal plane. In fact, the spark plug is at the "back" of the motor and the carb is at the front. If you remove the carb and reed valves (which are in perfect condition) you are looking at the crank/bottom con rod. This makes me think there is a crankcase leak which is affecting velocity through the carb. Seems to me that would be ONE BIG HONKIN' AIRLEAK though. But at low speeds in a engine this small, perhaps not. I've considered buying a new carb but I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with this one.

I'm at the point where the only thing left that I can think to do is check the crankcase for leaks with a vacuum/pressure tester. Easier said than done since it requires removing the power head from the lower unit to plug off the exhaust port with some sort of plate. Plugging off the crankcase at the carb is easy enough but the exhaust port will be a bit harder. Any ideas from the knowledgeable fellows here would be appreciated. I can post pictures if it will help.

Last edited:
clean the carb again. Maybe buy a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Sounds like crud in the low circuit somewhere. I went through a similar thing with a lawnboy. Everything else checked out fine and after I cleaned the carb a second time and soaked it in acetone overnight everything was fine.

You can get what are called rubber expansion plugs at plumbing supply places. All sorts of sizes, you should be able to plug off the exhaust that way without tearing it all down (note: this is purely theoretical, I have not done this). Rubber plug, has a hole in it in the middle, a bolt or screw going through that, a plate on the back, sort of tapered. Stick it in the pipe you want to plug, crank the bolt or screw, it pulls the plate forward expanding the plug until you have a good seal on the pipe.

Could be an air leak I suppose, might want to vac test it to see.

I have a 5hp Sea King with a blown seal, have yet to find one for it, but could be something like that.

Probably too new, but does it have a mechanical advance? Maybe its not working correctly? (though that would probably affect idle too...)

Hmm, partially carboned or clogged exhaust?

Other than that, if it has good compression, no air leak, and is getting enough fuel to the carb, would lean toward carb problems...

clean the carb again. Maybe buy a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Sounds like crud in the low circuit somewhere. I went through a similar thing with a lawnboy. Everything else checked out fine and after I cleaned the carb a second time and soaked it in acetone overnight everything was fine.

That's VERY good advice there. I was a motorcycle mechanic for years and one of the first things I learned was that dirty pilot circuits can cause a lot of tuning problems. Most times you're wasting your time trying to use spray can carburetor cleaner. The carbs need to be completely disassembled and soaked in commercial carb cleaner or an ultrasonic cleaner.

If that doesn't cure it then I'd try richer pilot jets. Do those carbs use slides with needles? if so it may help to raise the needles a little or change them to a different configuration. also slides with different size cutaways are usually available. I know very little about boat motor carbs so I'm just speaking in general carburetor terms here, and like others have said don't rule out an air leak.

If it was a Evinrude from the 60's I would say it was the plasic pin for spark advance plate for mag its hook up to the throttle linkage but is not im guessing it has a CD box. if theres fuel by the carb and the reed valve assembly theres two reason for this then your priming it gas comes out of carb the other reason is there a leak somewhere I am dealing with a air leak on a outboard now doe's not run good when I put the hood on it motor will stop runing. when it is runing spary some carb cleaner around engine block don't spary by the spark plugs see if it does anything. but is does not sound like a air leak to me.

Last edited:
That's VERY good advice there. I was a motorcycle mechanic for years and one of the first things I learned was that dirty pilot circuits can cause a lot of tuning problems. Most times you're wasting your time trying to use spray can carburetor cleaner. The carbs need to be completely disassembled and soaked in commercial carb cleaner or an ultrasonic cleaner.

If that doesn't cure it then I'd try richer pilot jets. Do those carbs use slides with needles? if so it may help to raise the needles a little or change them to a different configuration. also slides with different size cutaways are usually available. I know very little about boat motor carbs so I'm just speaking in general carburetor terms here, and like others have said don't rule out an air leak.

where were you when I starting working on my RD 350 awhile back?

Hey, a fellow RD owner!

OP, I think you're on the right track with the lean low-speed circuit issue. You didn't mention whether this was a new issue or something you recently picked up with the problem you describe. If you can't cure the issue by cleaning the carb (again), and can't find any intake air leaks, you might consider swapping out the pilot jet a step or two richer to see what happens.

If it was a Evinrude from the 60's I would say it was the plasic pin for spark advance plate for mag its hook up to the throttle linkage but is not im guessing it has a CD box. if theres fuel by the carb and the reed valve assembly theres two reason for this then your priming it gas comes out of carb the other reason is there a leak somewhere I am dealing with a air leak on a outboard now doe's not run good when I put the hood on it motor will stop runing. when it is runing spary some carb cleaner around engine block don't spary by the spark plugs see if it does anything. but is does not sound like a air leak to me.

If the engine has a mechanical advance it could be causing the issue or if it has late timing in general. Outboards have utilized many different ways of advancing the timing, if it's linked to throttle position then you may just need to bump up the idle timing.

Hey, a fellow RD owner!

OP, I think you're on the right track with the lean low-speed circuit issue. You didn't mention whether this was a new issue or something you recently picked up with the problem you describe. If you can't cure the issue by cleaning the carb (again), and can't find any intake air leaks, you might consider swapping out the pilot jet a step or two richer to see what happens.

Don't want to get off topic, but are you on USA 2-Strokers?

I picked up my RD a couple of mo. ago, has 3388 act. mi., but has blown crank seals, will fix this winter.

Don't want to get off topic, but are you on USA 2-Strokers?

I picked up my RD a couple of mo. ago, has 3388 act. mi., but has blown crank seals, will fix this winter.

And 2 stroke world. Not much, though. A bit too much drama for me.

If the engine has a mechanical advance...

electronic ignition
(Not sure exactly when it happened but by 1996 I'm sure all outboard motors were electronic ignition, if nothing else than for emissions reasons.)

I used to have a brandy red '73 RD350, sold it and bought a '79 RD400 Daytona and rode it for several years.. Those are great bikes! I know where there's a old RD250 sitting in a barn, I've been trying to buy it for years but the guy refuses to sell it. :rock:

I used to have a brandy red '73 RD350, sold it and bought a '79 RD400 Daytona and rode it for several years.. Those are great bikes! I know where there's a old RD250 sitting in a barn, I've been trying to buy it for years but the guy refuses to sell it. :rock:

Just like mine, eh?

First thing I'd try is to raise the fuel level in the bowl, making it easier to draw into the carb. Raise the float by about 2mm and try that. If it gets better response, then you're on the right track. It shouldn't make much, if any, difference on top end this way, it'll just be more responsive if it was lean. It's prolly got a butterfly valve, no slide ? Most outboards are like that.

Let us know.

i dont know if this will apply to an outbord...but anyway...i had a chainsaw show the exact same symptoms. I could eventaully nurse it up to about full throttle. Turned out to be a broken ring causing poor compression.

Will advise as soon as I have compression numbers. May be a week or two before I can get back to it.

Compression runs about 125psi so the problem wasn't there.

I say 'wasn't' because on the advice of ZombieChopper I gave carb cleaning a 2nd try. I bought a 3-qt can of Berryman's "chem dip" carb cleaner and put the stripped carb in it overnight (the directions say not longer than four hours). That stuff strips EVERYTHING, even the sealant around the welch plug was removed. Anyway, I reassembled the carb and used some of my daughter's nail polish to reseal the welch plug. I let everything dry then reinstalled the carb and BINGO, the low to high speed transition problem is gone!

I'd read in this forum and others that canned "spray type" carb cleaner doesn't hold a candle to the "dip type" cleaners. I can tell you they are right. Berryman's is highly recommended if you have a carb to clean, especially a really dirty one. The Berryman's was $28 + tax at AutoZone.

Technically there is a chance that the welch plug was leaking air and benefitted from the resealing, but I suspect that ZC nailed it with his suggestion to try a second cleaning. Thanks ZC.

Last edited:
Back