A big stick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went over to the pennisula today and had a good day cutting. Me and a buddy ended up with three trailer loads, including one of a maple burl tree that we wrestled up up the bank in chunks with a tractor. Got maybe 3000 lb, and a really nice chunk really low off the stump that was really clean.

I just got home with three 10ft by around 22 inch logs in my trailer, with another load I have to pick up on another trip.

We stopped by the logyard in Shelton to check out some sticks that a guy we do business with brought in recently. Here's us in front of one of them for scale. Two ugly cusses, but without something for scale you can't see the size.

Ironically, the person that took the pic was the Korean buyer who happenned to stop by while we were there to check out the logs.

The truth is it makes me kind of sad to see the really big trees on the ground. One minute it's living it's grand old life like it had for hundreds of years, and the next minute it's on it's way overseas to make veneer for panelling....

Last edited:
If you speak softly, Teddy would be proud. It does seem a bit of a shame but just imagine what hunting whales must be like!

I could be wrong but judging by the conk, wind shake, and pitch seams, not much value in that short.

attachment.php

:agree2:

I have left long butts in the woods that looked like that...of course that was on private ground, and the wood was being flown.

And we forgot to mention that shorts (all stuff under a 32' 11" here for domestic and 26' 11" export) are basically free these days anyway....pay like 70% less scale price or even lower.

The defects make the wood less saleable but the veneer guys are mostly interested in close grain and even rings I am told.

They said the splits aren't dealbreakers because they simply cut the sheets at the splits.

There are 4 sticks from that tree, and the others look a little better. I didn't put a tape to them but they are quite bit longer than they look in the pic.

The logger thought he had a deal for $2 a board foot for the whole lower section before he took it out, but it fell through. Not sure what he ended up getting, but it might not have been enough to cover his expenses to getting it out and to the yard. I think it may have gone for very cheap, and I hope to find out what he sold it for out of curiousity.

It's a brutal wood market right now. What did seem to be moving through the yard well was straight clean alder. Still seems to be a decent market for it,and they were processing a ton of it - really straight sticks, the bark was mostly removed, and the ends were sealed.

Last time I talked to him about it, my brother said they get more for alder than even for really clear straight fir.

Last edited:
Wind shake? Wazzat?

The separation between the rings themselves. Can be a partial to a full circle. With fir there is often no connecting material between the rings and once cut the wood can actually simply fall apart at that location.

I've worked enough fir that I can get a pretty good read on the wood from the pitch. It telegraphs most splits, shake, etc because it seeps out there.

If one has a hose or a jug of water handy, wetting the cut surface really pops what you can see in the wood grain.

BTW I talked to the guy who fell it, and he used a 460.

Last edited:
I went over to the pennisula today and had a good day cutting. Me and a buddy ended up with three trailer loads, including one of a maple burl tree that we wrestled up up the bank in chunks with a tractor. Got maybe 3000 lb, and a really nice chunk really low off the stump that was really clean.

I just got home with three 10ft by around 22 inch logs in my trailer, with another load I have to pick up on another trip.

We stopped by the logyard in Shelton to check out some sticks that a guy we do business with brought in recently. Here's us in front of one of them for scale. Two ugly cusses, but without something for scale you can't see the size.

Ironically, the person that took the pic was the Korean buyer who happenned to stop by while we were there to check out the logs.

The truth is it makes me kind of sad to see the really big trees on the ground. One minute it's living it's grand old life like it had for hundreds of years, and the next minute it's on it's way overseas to make veneer for panelling....

Which one are U?
The Fat-One?
Or The Ugly-one?

The separation between the rings themselves. Can be a partial to a full circle. With fir there is often no connecting material between the rings and once cut the wood can actually simply fall apart at that location.

I've worked enough fir that I can get a pretty good read on the wood from the pitch. It telegraphs most splits, shake, etc because it seeps out there.

If one has a hose or a jug of water handy, wetting the cut surface really pops what you can see in the wood grain.

BTW I talked to the guy who fell it, and he used a 460.

Oh ya, they cut...I have cut a lot of 5' sticks with my old 460's. Just got tired of waiting. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back