A bit off topic but I bet some of you can relate ... apple biscuits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats hilarious, I have dozens of pictures of food and lots of cooked meat pics. My girlie just laughs. I have most of my pics on my computer and the screen saver rotates them all through. Meat pics pop up all the time. I can remember most of the meat pics and know what I cooked, what it as seasoned with and how it turned out. My brother in Florida sends me texts from his grill and I send him mine.

The only thing I've ever smoked was bluefish. Most people don't like blues because they are VERY oily and fishy smelling.

I do a brine with kosher salt, soy sauce, a little tarragon and some sugar. I brine for about 12 hours, let air dry for 3-4 hours(to develop the pellicle(?) which is a dry glassy layer on the fish that is supposed to help in "catching" the smoke). On to smoking for 3-4 hours and you have smoked blues.

As stated above about suckers, takes a less than desirable fish and makes it enjoyable. I've taken the smoked meat and made a pate also. A big hit among the shoreline!

It's only a cheesy little Brinkmann (maybe?) smoker (free to me) that uses charcoal for heat, but it works alright. Would love to try some pork or chicken!

Tim

I have a friend of mine that does Atlantic salmon fishing. I told him I wanted a fish to smoke and if he caught one I'd spring for the BBQ dinner with all the fixins at my place. I love smoked salmon.

The smoker is the Masterbuilt 7-in-1 smoker. I picked it up for $100 new in the box and it uses either propane or charcoal. I have it hooked up to the propane tank and the apple wood biscuits are just to make smoke. Only one outting and I'm already hooked. It was a bit difficult regulating the temperature because it was below freezing and very windy. It wasn't until I rigged up a windblock that it started working as expected and the thermometer on the top cover was reading ~225 degrees. The one I plan on building will be insulated but this one will let me learn what improvements I need to incorporate in the next one. I picked up a stainless steel basket and I will hang the meat in the basket for the next go-round. My crystal ball tells me I have a few years of good eating ahead of me. I really want to try smoking some venison in the fall.

Smoking the venison will be a challenge, though not impossible. You are on the right track with the Masterbuilt. I've heard great things about them as an "out of the box" smoker. Your temp is in the good neighborhood. The problem I've found with the venison is -- it is so lean it dries out quickly. I used bacon wraps to help it in that area, and even some marinades that are a special secret. Happy Smoking! :msp_wink:

It's been awhile but I finally got to smoke a brisket. Not a big one, 4.4 pounds. Did the brine soak over night. Made my own rub, rubbed it liberally and let it stand for 6 hours. Cooked it this afternoon/evening using wet apple biscuits as the smoke source. The brisket did not have a thick layer of fat so I substituted some fatty bacon on a tip from the tall Texan who owns/runs the Wagon Wheel in Huntsville, Alabama. His briskets are fantastic. It's resting in a foil wrap and I probably won't dig in to it until tomorrow. More to follow.

It's been awhile but I finally got to smoke a brisket. Not a big one, 4.4 pounds. Did the brine soak over night. Made my own rub, rubbed it liberally and let it stand for 6 hours. Cooked it this afternoon/evening using wet apple biscuits as the smoke source. The brisket did not have a thick layer of fat so I substituted some fatty bacon on a tip from the tall Texan who owns/runs the Wagon Wheel in Huntsville, Alabama. His briskets are fantastic. It's resting in a foil wrap and I probably won't dig in to it until tomorrow. More to follow.

Among some, smoking brisket can be a debate. I personally like mine over hickory wood with a rub I use. I only use the whole brisket and trim the fat to a desired thickness. (Some cook the brisket to death and it resembles roast beef - not my cup of tea - if it is yours to each his own). I've been smoking for some time and now the brisket gets more thumbs up than the pork anytime. Usually it is so tender that you do not need a knife to cut it once it is plated. Look forward to hearing how yours turned out. :cool2:

Latest posts

Back