A christmas question for fireplace users

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davej_07

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first year using my fireplace for heating. I usually decorate my mantle with fresh evergreen boughs and stuff like that. I guess im wondering how safe that would be. Should I not do it or maybe use artificial stuff? Sprayed fire-proofing? Any suggestions would be great:p

Thanks
Dave

Dave, It's been years since I burned in an open fireplace. It was as a kid that we did, but the decorations were always off to the side from the hearth. The napalm tree was always across the room from the fireplace.

One spark is all it takes to change Christmas for you. Hope you enjoy your Holiday Season and the warmth of a warm fire.

I grew up in a house with a fireplace that had a mantel above it. It was always decorated with greenery such as pine roping and pine cones. We had burned a fire in the fireplace quite often and never had any problems for the 22 years we lived in the house. The mantel was high enough and a screen was used in front of the fire place to reduce the risk of sparks and embers escaping.

We had a painted oak mantel, the flames roared out from downdraft one day and then it was back to bare wood again.

As far as using an open fireplace for helping with heating, my wife was pretty much of the thinking that it would be a novelty. She has gotten SO used to it being 75degrees in the house that I think I can use this as a stepping stone to getting mny first wood stove in the near future :cheers: :rock:

My home is open concept so the majority of it is one big room, and the ceiling fans along with the blower on the fireplace keep it NICE and warm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Dave

As far as using an open fireplace for helping with heating, my wife was pretty much of the thinking that it would be a novelty. She has gotten SO used to it being 75degrees in the house that I think I can use this as a stepping stone to getting mny first wood stove in the near future :cheers: :rock:

My home is open concept so the majority of it is one big room, and the ceiling fans along with the blower on the fireplace keep it NICE and warm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Dave

heh heh 75?
stat.jpg

That beech is pegged at 90. People come in here and can't leave. Not cause they don't want to cause they can't. You get sleepy and disoriented real quick, I love it. If you are coming over please bring me some water.

Good. Oak should never be painted! :clap:

;)

It was something after that, came out real nice. I do remmeber the decorations and stockings nailed to it though even when we had the fire going. It was in my childhood home, we had the fireplace and 2 monster Cunninghams. One had a jacket for hot water. My brother and I would chase each other around with red hot pokers. Oh the damage we did.

Treemandan, you still smell fuel oil? Or only when you been away awhile and come back in?

In the garage mostly. Nothing to complain about, its not like I don't spray carb cleaner or anything in there. I found some more oil on the gaskets at the bottom of the garage floor. We have not yet started rehab.
A friend of mine had the same thing happen due to idiot oil guys at the same time, I just found this out.
His tank is in the basement and built behind a wall real good. He has forced air heat so its spreading throughout the house. No one called the EPA on that one and they are hoping not to.

Latest posts

Back