A craigslist score of dry solid oak and a bit of pine for good measure...!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
There's a metal stamping factory about 15 minutes away from me that has an over abundance of oak pallets and cutoffs that they're more than happy to get rid of. So far I've gotten 3 of the big 4ft by 4ft boxes of cutoffs and a few loads of the pallets. The nice thing about the pallets is they knock apart pretty easily with my baby sledge. Most of this stuff is going to supplement my normal firewood and some may end up as a project or two. Either way it goes the price was right...free! Really nice fellas working there. They drive the big boxes out on the towmotor and set 'em right in the truck bed. I'm thinkin' I'll be buyin' a couple sixers of beer for 'em to show my appreciation! Anyone know what the grooved pieces were used for? I didn't think to ask the guys about 'em until I was already home. Anyway, it looks like they have an endless suppy for the time being. :clap:

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

Good score!
The grooved pieces are most likely dunnage for stuff they get shipped in...
Metal banding runs across the groove to keep loads tight and ship worthy.
Enjoy...
:rock:

:clap: nice score. If you plan to get more take a couple of those skids and make a rack to hold it all nice.. :rock:

I tossed some rep at ya for thinking of taking beers in for them.. Make sure ya follow up on it...

That's nice wood! Free heavy duty milled oak lumber for projects, plus scrap pieces to burn, what's not to like? I bet right off the bat you could make nice wood racks from those heavy pallets.

:clap: nice score. If you plan to get more take a couple of those skids and make a rack to hold it all nice.. :rock:

I tossed some rep at ya for thinking of taking beers in for them.. Make sure ya follow up on it...

One thing I have no problem doing is treating folks right when they've done me a good turn...so beers it is!

That's nice wood! Free heavy duty milled oak lumber for projects, plus scrap pieces to burn, what's not to like? I bet right off the bat you could make nice wood racks from those heavy pallets.

It is nice wood alright...shame to see so much of it go to waste. This stuff is amazingly dense and heavy. I guess a nice sturdy rack would be a nice project to consider:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back