A wood cutting story...nothing really exciting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
About a week ago I responded to a free firewood ad on craigslist that went something like: Free firewood, lots of it. Bring a saw and a truck and help loading. So I go check it out and it's a gigantic dead oak that's been cut into 4 huge trunk sections on the front yard of an apparently vacant house and a sign that read: Free wood--cut yourself. Each section of trunk was approximately 10 to 12 feet in length and anywhere from 35 to 45 inches across at the widest. There were also a couple of long branches about 12 feet long and about a foot in width. Even tho I didn't really need the wood I just can't help wanting to practice using my saws so I start right in on the branches and make short work of 'em with the Husky 55. I had my trusty Fiskars SS with me as well and busted the rounds up to make it easy to carry to my truck.
The tree was apparently standing dead and split apart very easily. I was working alone for the most part. Every now and then the sound of my saw would attract the guys in the area and they'd stop by for a look see. Some of them would explain how they'd love to have some of the wood but had no means to cut it. So, not being the greedy type I offered to cut some for some of them to which they were very grateful and a bit surprised. I fill my truck and head home thinking I'd come back in the morning and get a bit more. Next day I go back and everything's still pretty much the way I left it the day before. Now, only the big stuff is left and I put all my gear on and set about the task of working on my cutting technique. I was wishing some of you experienced fellas lived around here so I could get some tips and advice on the best ways to attack the big stuff.
Everything's going fine and all of a sudden I hit the mother-load of carpenter ant nests!! Wow! It was like something you see in the movies! Ants by the thousands it seemed, carrying eggs and swarming everywhere. It was a sight to see. Up until now I'm still the only one working on this stuff and still hoping for a little company. A couple guys finally come thru with saws and after exchanging pleasantries I take a break to watch and learn. The guy doing the cutting was an older fella with a ms250 with a 18in bar and I could tell right away he knew how to use it. He was going thru that big stuff like nothing. As usual I had my Fiskars with me and as he bucked I would split it up for them. They were very grateful as well and the fella with the saw showed me some techniques and gave me some pointers on dealing with big wood. They seemed surprised that I would be so willing to help them out with splitting those monster rounds too. I'm only into my 3rd year burning but I feel like it's something I was destined to do and splitting by hand is a lot of fun when it's straight grained stuff! I even got a nice pair of gloves out of it from the guy running the saw when they were packing to leave. All in all it was a good day of learning and camaraderie. Later on another seasoned vet arrived and did some cutting and maul splitting and I was able to glean some useful tips from him also. I'll be 50 next year and these guys were probably mid to upper 60's and showed no signs of slowing down.

Nothing really exciting to tell and sorry for being so long winded...just wanted to share my most recent venture. I love going home after work and working on the woodpile.

Bryan

Sounds like you had a couple of good days cuttin', splittin' and learnin'. Good for you. Always nice to meet friendly folks and to lend a helping hand. Of course it's always good to get a chance to run a saw. :)

Kevin

About a week ago I responded to a free firewood ad on craigslist that went something like: Free firewood, lots of it. Bring a saw and a truck and help loading. So I go check it out and it's a gigantic dead oak that's been cut into 4 huge trunk sections on the front yard of an apparently vacant house and a sign that read: Free wood--cut yourself. .......

Bryan

Great story! I wish I would find some people from whom I could learn.

BTW don't forget forum rules! Where are the pics? ;)

That's a great story. I think the key is that you have a good attitude. Nobody got too greedy or territorial about the wood and their time, so everyone benefited and had a pleasant time. I think you scored some good "pay-it-forward" points, too.

:clap: :cheers:

glad to hear that everyone got a long and no one tried to horde the wood lol it might sound funny or weird but in a lot of situations someone prolly woulda tried to claim it all.

Great story! I wish I would find some people from whom I could learn.

BTW don't forget forum rules! Where are the pics? ;)

I really gotta work on gettin' a camera...

Nobody got too greedy or territorial about the wood and their time, so everyone benefited and had a pleasant time. I think you scored some good "pay-it-forward" points, too.

:clap: :cheers:

Funny you should mention that...
There's a part 2 to this story that I'll be posting later today hopefully.

Great story, you say it's nothing exciting but to us knuckle draggers that hang out in the wood burning forum it is! :clap:greenchainsaw:

Ha Ha glad you enjoyed it...! Part 2 of the story will be coming soon:greenchainsaw:

Something about "wood" that brings out the best in people...I'ld be proud to be your neighbor.
A

thanks bud!!! I wish I could hang out with a bunch of you boys too!

glad to hear that everyone got a long and no one tried to horde the wood lol it might sound funny or weird but in a lot of situations someone prolly woulda tried to claim it all.

Well BarkBuster20, you and TreePointer did hit on the one thing that did try to rear it's ugly head and I'll be posting that follow-up story a bit later.

Thanks fellas for taking the time out to read all this and thanks for all the positive feedback too!!

Bryan

Good deal! There is nothing better in my opinion than a day cutting wood when everything goes as planned, everyone gets along, and nobody brings an attitude to the woodpile!

Back