A Good Reason to use a rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thought of using a truck to pull a tree down seems pretty amateurish to me. If your in a position to do that then maybe you need to rethink the job and what needs to come off the tree before falling it, I hope that's not a Wisconsin thing. We just had another guy in Tomahawk try that. Big tree short chain, you do the math. Pete

We rig a rope and pull with a vehicle all of the time. We like to say "the time it takes to rig a pull is minimal compared with the consequences if it goes the wrong direction".

We rig a rope and pull with a vehicle all of the time. We like to say "the time it takes to rig a pull is minimal compared with the consequences if it goes the wrong direction".

Dern right todd, if there's room to lay it out, I'll use whatever's on hand to get 'er over center and to the ground.

I'll have to go into the archives for this one.

DSCN2397.jpg

DSCN2408.jpg

DSCN2409.jpg

DSCN2412.jpg

On this White Pine as with a tree in compromised condition, a fast pull is your friend, the '78, 1 ton Chevy delivered.

No amateurs here, just tree cuttin machines, 62 years combined experience between us 3.

I'm the Grunts brother and I do like all the comments all good . Never thought of the plunge cut or the thump with a maul . I will have to put those in to the mix . We thought of using more pull power but room was a factor . We were already on nieghbor's property and to run a truck or what ever on it could have cause more problem's . What I would have like more would have beem cable or something with less stretch. But it all worked out in the end . Oh I forgot about the bucket truck.The price is what made the decision as to how it can down, But that was talked about . I say again all the comments are Put into the library of useful hints thanks !

read the bark

Either White oak or Bur oak . Real narly thick bark

When you have real knarly bark it tells you there is something happening in the tree to cause it to do that. In time, after you do a lot of trees you'll be able to read the bark and know what the tree is hiding under the bark. Damage to the tree causes the bark to grow strange patterns that can last for years.

I use my winch and snatch block rated 20t but before I had
that ability I used trucks of every make and model. I trust a vehicle
over any man power. It is professional to use sufficient means to safely
pull the load.

Back