A grim question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbor1

Administrator
Staff member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is out of left field, but I have family members that when they pass they would like to be used to plant a fruit or other nice tree with their ashes in the roots area so they become part of the tree, and history of the family.

What are the impact on a tree? Would any tree type be better than another?

It probably would be nothing more than a benefit to the tree, as grim as it sounds. "Potash" is one of the main components in fertilizer.
I would incorporate the "remains" in the surrounding soil before adding the soil back into the hole in which the tree is planted. A hole 2-3 times the size of the root ball can be quite a bit of soil. When I say "2-3" times the size I mean in diameter, not depth. The depth of the hole should be no deeper than the bottom of the root ball to the beginning of the root flare.

I'm not much a fan of cremation for personal reasons but if I were to be cremated I think that would be a good use of my remains.

My ashes are going to be spread in my pecan orchard. One of my favorite places.

I would put ashes around several trees myself. Concentrated fertilizer can kill a tree. We are warned, when planting pecan trees, never fertilize the hole or until the tree is several months old.

Thanks for these replies. And in this case religion does not apply. One of these is my Mom. She wanted to be a base for a tree or something like a rose bush.
I do appreciate the responses. And glad to know it won't hurt a tree. I do appreciate the information about the 2 to 3 times the root ball in diameter.

It probably would be nothing more than a benefit to the tree, as grim as it sounds. "Potash" is one of the main components in fertilizer.
I would incorporate the "remains" in the surrounding soil before adding the soil back into the hole in which the tree is planted. A hole 2-3 times the size of the root ball can be quite a bit of soil. When I say "2-3" times the size I mean in diameter, not depth. The depth of the hole should be no deeper than the bottom of the root ball to the beginning of the root flare.

I'm not much a fan of cremation for personal reasons but if I were to be cremated I think that would be a good use of my remains.

Excellent advice, but I think that is a bit of overkill. Having participated in a few private "ash-dispersal" events, I think doing all that work is a lot more work than necessary, and not so good for the solemnity of the event. Human remains don't make that big of a box of ashes, and they aren't ever going to be a health problem for a tree. The symbolism here is more important than the effective disposal of the remains.

If the fruit tree is going to be a dedicated planting for the memorial of that person, just do a regular planting with standard good practices, except leave off the mulch cover. Have it planted, staked, and all the hard work done prior to any ceremony, and it could even be done by the nursery or landscaper that sells the tree.

When it comes time for the memorial service, spread the ashes over the planting ring, then gently rake them in a bit. Cover the ashes with mulch, symbolically burying the dearly departed. A nice touch might be having some water handy to water the tree with, signifying the transfer of their mortal remains to the living tree.

Be sure that the tree isn't going to be planted in a marginally appropriate location. Not much will spoil the lasting effects of Poppa's memorial site like returning to a dead tree. I'd recommend planting at least a 1" to 1 1/2" caliper tree, and then ensuring it gets watered for the first year often enough to prevent dessication during the summer. Planting a tiny tree like a cutting will seem a bit cheap and is prone to accidental destruction by mowers or rabbits/deer chewing it to death. Large trees are more prone to failure from inadequate after-care.

This is out of left field, but I have family members that when they pass they would like to be used to plant a fruit or other nice tree with their ashes in the roots area so they become part of the tree, and history of the family.

What are the impact on a tree? Would any tree type be better than another?
Depending on the person and the tree type. An Ash tree could be humorous especially if the person was a pain in the Ash.

A note regarding fertilizer burns or other problems.

Potash (potassium) comes in at less than 4% of the total contents of human remains, Sodium at a pinch more than 1%, and Chloride ions at 1%. Overall, it's pretty weak fertilizer, and poses no risk to the plants it might be spread upon. At about 73% Calcium phospate, the fruit trees will love the extra phosphate fertilizer, essential to flowering and fruit production.

Would any tree type be better than another?

Give us a potential planting site and you will get better recommendations. Climate is an important consideration for any recommendations.

The symbolism of the dearly departed giving back to their living relatives through the tree is the idea behind most of my recommendations.
  • Fruit trees like apple and pear have beautiful flowers at this time of year, so that would be an important consideration for future memorial visits. Peaches and apricots are very lovely, but don't do too well if you go very far north. Some of the flowering cherry trees are spectacular as well.
  • If shade is a preferred option, then nut trees might be a good choice. Walnut trees are hardy and make excellent shade trees, although many people are unwilling to fight the husks to obtain the nuts. Pecan trees make good shade trees, and are quite popular for their nut production as well.
  • If the space allows for it and the goal is to establish the projection of the immortal soul, then a large slow-growing tree might be a preferred choice. Few trees create that image as well as the white oak species, although you should consider the climate before selecting a tree. Slow growing might be a drawback if you wish to live long enough to see the mature tree.
  • If you are far enough south, a southern magnolia tree is a splendid looking tree with year-round foliage. They have spectacular floral displays, but like the white oak trees, tend to be rather slow growing.

It occurs to me that folks might want to consider planting their own memorial tree. I think I'm gonna discuss that with my family, especially my wife. It spares the bereaved the trouble, avoids survival problems with a new planting, and makes sure that the right selection is made.

The area may be somewhere on my daughter/son-in-laws new home on 24acres they plan to stay of forever. Or as long as they can. They just moved into it last November. Their dream house that daughter designed. So this would be the best secure place to plant a tree. They have magnolia trees in N. Alabama about 30 miles south of TN state line. I'm thinking a fruit tree would be good.

And @pdqdl, thanks for all that information. I'm thinking I'd like to help grow a brown turkey fig tree. I love figs and only once have had all I could want at one time. (Darn April 27th 2011 tornado took away my uncles fig tree that was more than one story tall. )

Alabama is a great place for peaches and apricots.

With 24 acres, you might consider starting an orchard anyway. Full sunlight with loose alluvial soil is best. Plant some clover beneath the trees. As a legume, the clover will help fertilize the trees and not require too much mowing, either. I see that Del is monitoring this thread. He probably has much better ideas about how to maintain fruit trees than I do.

My earliest memories of childhood were from where I lived on Orchard St. I'm pretty sure we had that orchard that it was named after, because there were about 10 peach and apple trees. While we never did any pruning or spraying on the orchard, my formative years were spent picking up fruit, peeling, cooking, canning, and eating the fruit of those trees.

I was only 4-8 years old at the time, but those memories last a lifetime.

I'm thinking I'd like to help grow a brown turkey fig tree.

What a hoot! I've never even heard of that kind of tree. I like dried figs, but I've never seen or tasted a fresh one.

That sounds like an excellent plan except for the climate. Research says:

" ‘Brown Turkey’ fig is a multi-stemmed, woody, deciduous shrub with edible fruit in the mulberry family (Moraceae). This fig cultivar was bred to be more cold hardy than other fig cultivars and quickly grows to a mature size of 10 to 30 feet tall and wide.​
Grow figs in full sun in organically rich, well-drained, moist soils that are neutral to acidic. Figs do not tolerate alkaline soils. Light pruning each winter may be necessary to maintain an attractive shape. Mulch roots to maintain moisture and especially in the fall to protect them throughout the winter. 'Brown Turkey' requires protection from winter temperatures below 10 degrees F. "​

I guess you need to determine how often it gets that cold in your area. If you are planting in an area filled with limestone outcrops, your results might not be too favorable, either. A soil test might be appropriate prior to planting.

Back