A Homelite Mystery (to me, anyway)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezvet

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, I came into possession of a Homelite Ranger 33cc. It looked completely normal until I was cleaning it and realized that there was no chain brake. The handle was present but completely non-functional, internally pinned to the frame by the factory...not by an owner. It never had a connector to a brake, no wear, no nothing. The handle was completely for show/decoration. Is this commonplace?

So, I came into possession of a Homelite Ranger 33cc. It looked completely normal until I was cleaning it and realized that there was no chain brake. The handle was present but completely non-functional, internally pinned to the frame by the factory...not by an owner. It never had a connector to a brake, no wear, no nothing. The handle was completely for show/decoration. Is this commonplace?
The handle is totally useless, usually referred to as a "hand guard" and should be illegal as it fools people into thinking they are buying a chainbrake. Not sure if the manufacturer thinks it actually provides some safety or is purposefully meant to mislead. Fairly common on older saws, especially the small cheap ones and even now can be found on a lot of electric saws.

The handle is totally useless, usually referred to as a "hand guard" and should be illegal as it fools people into thinking they are buying a chainbrake. Not sure if the manufacturer thinks it actually provides some safety or is purposefully meant to mislead. Fairly common on older saws, especially the small cheap ones and even now can be found on a lot of electric saws.
Many thanks for the info. Nothing found on the internet about this. At least my sanity, such as it is, can stumble along some more.

One of this type?

Thanks, a nice video. Same saw except mine has no chainbrake, connector, spring, pin, or any wear patterns. The fake brake handle is pinned from the inside to the saw body with a factory splined screw.

Thanks, a nice video. Same saw except mine has no chainbrake, connector, spring, pin, or any wear patterns. The fake brake handle is pinned from the inside to the saw body with a factory splined screw.
Yes, when I seen the Homelite Ranger name in your original post I thought it was one of those red plastic models with the yellow recoil and fuel/oil tank caps. I had someone drop one off once for repair, I never bothered to even look at it , I never got around to look at it.

Yes, when I seen the Homelite Ranger name in your original post I thought it was one of those red plastic models with the yellow recoil and fuel/oil tank caps. I had someone drop one off once for repair, I never bothered to even look at it , I never got around to look at it.
Thanks for the note. Kinda sad; I was brought up making firewood with a Homelite. That old thing never let us down for the 10 years or so until Uncle Sam called.

Thanks for the note. Kinda sad; I was brought up making firewood with a Homelite. That old thing never let us down for the 10 years or so until Uncle Sam called.
The real Homelites were very good long lasting saws, the one you have is not a real Homelite, they were bought up many years ago and the stuff using the Homelite name these days are cheap plastic disposable units, when they break or wear out they are not worth having them fixed, if you can fix them yourself then it may be worth it to you.It is sad what happened to the real companies like McCulloch, Poulan, Homelite and Pioneer.

The real Homelites were very good long lasting saws, the one you have is not a real Homelite, they were bought up many years ago and the stuff using the Homelite name these days are cheap plastic disposable units, when they break or wear out they are not worth having them fixed, if you can fix them yourself then it may be worth it to you.It is sad what happened to the real companies like McCulloch, Poulan, Homelite and Pioneer.
Yup!

Back