a job from hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyduke

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
from today's "the guardian." this has to be the ultimate froo-froo trimming job. j.k. rawlings, the harry potter author, has a thirty foot hedge of leyland cyprus (grows three feet per year) around her estate. it made international news because the job has brought traffic in edinburough to a crawl. note that the chipper blows into the front of the box, interesting.job_from_hell-sm.png

That chipper is mounted to the front of the truck. What a cool idea, they can dump chips without having to unhook. I have Leyland cyprus here that the neighbor planted on the property line. They do grow very fast and dense. She planted them right under her power line so I'm sure the local EMC is happy about that. They prune them every few years.

You likey

Capture.jpg

You likey

Capture.jpg

yeah, it does fascinate me. where i work is like the foto you show. it's hard to get the chipper into tight, sloped spots. you're always in danger of "looping" the chipper, turning it on its side. i often deliver the chipper to the site on the trucks rear hittch, then put it in place with the front hitch. if i could blow into the box from the front it would simplify repositioning.

your foto looks like the same truck and chipper, same outfit?

That chipper is mounted to the front of the truck. What a cool idea, they can dump chips without having to unhook. I have Leyland cyprus here that the neighbor planted on the property line. They do grow very fast and dense. She planted them right under her power line so I'm sure the local EMC is happy about that. They prune them every few years.

no, you can't dump the chips on the site where you're chipping, you have to pay your $100 at the dump. but you can move the chipper with precision while it's right in front of you instead of in the mirrors, hiding behind the box.

no, you can't dump the chips on the site where you're chipping, you have to pay your $100 at the dump. but you can move the chipper with precision while it's right in front of you instead of in the mirrors, hiding behind the box.
Why can't you dump chips wherever someone wants them? I've never paid to get rid of chips. There's usually someone happy to have them.

Why can't you dump chips wherever someone wants them? I've never paid to get rid of chips. There's usually someone happy to have them.

yes, where i am now it's easy to get rid of chips but in the real world, you blow chips into the box and at lunch time someone has to go to the dump with two tons of chips and rounds so you can deal with the afternoon work.

only problem with a front box if you cant close the front intake while driving you will have debris all over the road until you get to the dump site.

only problem with a front box if you cant close the front intake while driving you will have debris all over the road until you get to the dump site.

That's a problem? Sounds like a great way to pay less at the dump! Haha!

I've seen those chippers mounted on a centre pivot so you could swing them round the truck and have them wherever you wanted them, left side, right side. Usually smaller chippers though like 6". Some of the greenmech towbehinds have centre pivot too, you can rotate the chipper on its own axis so the feed chute faces any direction you want. Have also seen someone take an old garbage dump truck and integrate a 9" chipper into where the old bin lifter/crusher went. Truck with a chipper built in looked very handy, and to make it even sweeter the whole back section lifts up by hydraulics for tipping. Nearly snapped one up a few years ago but someone got it before me.

Those truks are UNIMOG s. They were build to be half truck -half tractor and they have 2 tree point hitch :eek:ne in the back and one in the front. That chipper can be attached to both ends of the truck.

As I recall, the Street Dept. In Washington, DC used to run some Unimogs. I bought a '59 IH B-120 4x4 from a guy that had one.

Those truks are UNIMOG s. They were build to be half truck -half tractor and they have 2 tree point hitch :eek:ne in the back and one in the front. That chipper can be attached to both ends of the truck.

thanks for the help. now i understand what's going on here. if the gusset in the picture had been a turnbuckle it would have dawned on me. if i'm working in the village where i live i haul my chipper behind my ford tractor and position it with the front hitch. i'll google unimog.

Back