A little FYI (if you care)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's been a little discussion recently about the pros and cons (mostly cons) of draft blowers. Supposedly they cause your warm air-forced draft furnace to eat Mount Everest size piles of firewood in just a few short minutes. I made a couple of simple adjustments to my DAKA that made a monster difference in performance and the amount of firewood it consumes. I'm assuming most any forced draft blower type furnace is controlled in a similar fashion... by a Honeywell combination fan/limit controller.

L4064_B_2236_Fan_Limit__10990.1405359768.1280.1280.jpg

This controller starts/stops the circulation blower and "limits" the draft induction blower. When you pop the cover off you'll find three adjustable tabs on the dial... you can move them with your finger but it's easier to use a small screw driver or pick (be sure to hold the dial in place with your other hand so the biometric spring ain't damaged). From the factory it comes set to turn the circulation blower on at something 'round 110-115°, and turn it off at 'round 90°. The third tab is the draft induction blower limit... the factory setting is 200°. What this does is turn the draft induction blower off if air jacket temperature reaches 200° for safety reasons (it turns it back on when air jacket temps fall to approximately 160°). This is approximately what the "factory" settings will look like...

fact.jpg
There's a huge problem with these settings... they ain't really done with a wood-fired appliance in mind, they're set with gas or oil furnaces in mind. Understand, this thing is sensing air temperature, not firebox temperature, and most of the time it's sensing that air temp while the circulation blower is pumping cool air into the jacket. And, unlike a gas/oil furnace, it ain't mounted above the heat exchanger, it's mounted off to the side of the firebox.

First of all, the "Circulation Blower ON/OFF" settings are too low. There's no reason for the blower to come on that early (110°) and start cooling a firebox that ain't even hot yet. Also, the "ON/OFF" is too close together... which will cause the circulation blower to short-cycle (especially at such low temps). B'sides, with the two of them set so low the air coming from your heat vents feels cool... meaning you'll feel a cold draft. Performance will be improved if both settings are raised and the separation between them is increased.

Second, the "Draft Induction Blower LIMIT" is too high. Now remember, it's reading air jacket temp off to the side, not air temp above the heat exchanger... and there's cool air being pumped into that air jacket by the circulation blower. So, unless you have that smoke dragon furnace stuffed to the gills with oak it ain't never gonna' hit the "LIMIT"... meaning the draft blower runs continuously, and that's gonna' eat a ton of wood without any real benefit. Better if the draft blower cycles on and off... runs for a few minutes, shuts down until the heat is circulated into the home and the jacket begins to cool before starting up again. In other words, lowering the "LIMIT" (so the draft blower cycles) will put less heat up the chimney and more in the home... i.e., heating efficiency is increased (increased a ton).

Now there's a mechanical limit to the adjustments because of how the tabs are set up. The minimum temperature difference between the "Circulation Blower ON/OFF" settings is 20° (which is too close anyway), and minimum temperature difference between the "Circulation Blower ON" and the "Draft Blower LIMIT" is 30°. I set my "LIMIT" down to 175°, and my "ON/OFF" up to 145° and 110° respectively... both of them higher, and with a 35° temperature difference instead of 20°.

My firebox runs hotter in "stand-by", meaning more efficient combustion (i.e., little if any smoldering). The circulation blower cycles on and off less often, especially during the beginning and end of a burn cycle. I never get the "cool" feeling air from the heat vents. And most importantly, the draft blower cycles on and off when the thermostat is calling for heat (i.e., way, way, way less fuel consumption)... and believe me, even at the 175° "LIMIT" the air coming from the heat vents is friggin' hot‼ You may need to experiment a bit for the settings that work best with your setup... but I'm bettin' they won't be far from mine.

adjust.jpg

I added one more little thing to my furnace. A cheap snap switch in-line to the wall thermostat that comes on (closes) at 110° and goes off (opens) at 90°. Basically what that does is cut the thermostat power when air jacket temperature drops below 90° (20° below the circulation blower "OFF" temperature)... in other words, the draft blower won't run on a cold, dead firebox.

Yes very interesting I am currently considering getting a wood furnace and this could come in handy.

wow, something that simple!

You wonder why the heater manufacturers don't adjust this correctly for their stoves...

wow, something that simple!

You wonder why the heater manufacturers don't adjust this correctly for their stoves...
It's called liability, a house burns down and some hack lawyer will claim that they altered the factory Safety settings.

I should've also mentioned that setting the circulation blower ON and OFF points higher and further apart also dramatically reduced how often the induced draft blower needs to run (reducing fuel consumption even more). Because it starts at a higher temp, and the ON/OFF spread is further apart, the circulation blower moves warmer air for longer periods during "stand-by" (cycles on/off 2 or 3 times and hour). This serves to do a much better job of maintaining current house temperature... meaning the draft blower doesn't need to run. There is a bit of a learning curve to the loading technique... pretty much, to avoid overheating the house, it's learning to load just a tad light and rely on the draft blower to do "catch-up" when and if needed. It don't take long to learn... unless it's colder than frozen owl crap outside, our draft blower rarely runs during the day. The truth is, during "normal" temps, it usually only runs for a short bit in the evening a couple hours after dark before the programmable thermostat drops to 67°, and again in the morning at 5:30 when the thermostat jumps back to 70°.

So basically, I set my system up to use the draft induction blower primarily for "recovery", not for maintaining the house temperature (well... unless it's butt-crack cold).

spidey is 100% correct in theory, and for his application. But for others keep in mind position of any temp sensors is a huge factor. So these limits may not work for you if your position is different. Also keep in mind spidey has the big supply fan on his unit so he is moving a lot of air, you may not get the same results moving less air. I actually believe supply fan at lower temps gets more heat. But its a comfort application thing. Lastly, spidey didn't mention that his interior chimney could suck the snot out of your nose if you looked up it. This high draft is definitely helping keeping the fire hot with no blower, you may not get the same. Just sayen each unit in each application of each brand will be different. Don't be afraid to experiment.

P1070389.JPG I use one of these electric frying pan thermostats as an upper temperature limit in the smoke pipe about a foot from the furnace output. It will open on temperature rise, have it set for about 450 F. When it opens it allows the combustion air door motor to close. It is a 24VAC motor that has a spring return to close the door when the 24V is lost. The furnace draft motor may cycle on this upper limit if the plenum upper limit has not been reached yet. When the heat exchanger needs to be brushed out it is more likely to cycle on this limit as the plenum just can't get the heat to activate the plenum limit and the smoke temperature rises. Has been working great for many years.P1070389.JPG

I use the plenum limit section of the bi-metal plenum fan control only as the upper limit safety for the draft motor.. The house circulation blower is controlled by a Ranco single stage electronic temperature control.
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html
The differential can be set up to 30 degrees F. , and the on temp. can be set up to 220F. It is set up in the cooling mode so it turns on at 165F and off at 135F. It is very easy to adjust and doesn't get sticky like the bi-metal ones do in time.

I use one of these electric frying pan thermostats as an upper temperature limit in the smoke pipe...
That's a neat idea... limiting the heat lost out the stack by actually measuring, or sensing what is being lost. I would've never thought about an electric frying pan thermostat for that purpose. Personally I'm always a little leery of putting a hole in the smoke pipe for such things... which makes no sense at all because I have no qualms about putting two holes in every one for the key damper :rolleyes:

That's a neat idea... limiting the heat lost out the stack by actually measuring, or sensing what is being lost. I would've never thought about an electric frying pan thermostat for that purpose. Personally I'm always a little leery of putting a hole in the smoke pipe for such things... which makes no sense at all because I have no qualms about putting two holes in every one for the key damper :rolleyes:
I put it between the furnace and the manual chimney damper. A bit of silicone seal around it works good.
I put it in series with the 24V combustion air door motor. A good probe type chimney thermometer is near it to set it.
I put a LED and a 2K resistor in series and then put this circuit across the frying pan thermostat so I could monitor the thermostat from afar to see if it was over firing.
You could also use an oven temp control thermostat from an electric range.

Card 12  8 GB 807.JPG This differential temperature controller is used only to monitor temps. It's on my desk upstairs. The left is the temp. in the plenum and the right is the temp of my 60 gallon domestic hot water preheat tank that is heated by a coil in the furnace plenum. It has a differential temp. controller on it to control a small pump. All of this is battery backed up by 2 Eaton 3 Kw sine wave inverters powered by a 72v 225Amp. Hr. battery bank in case of a power failure. Card 12  8 GB 807.JPG

Latest posts

Back