A Nice Running / Decent Shape S10?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What is the parts availability on one of these guys? I need this saw like another hole in the head, but, well, I want it.

BTW, rear handle 18" b/c setup starts on third/fourth pull and seems strong and in surprisingly great shape.

Anyway, what say ye expert psycho-management expertise types of the CAD diagnosis persuasion?

Is a hundred bux in the ballpark if I actually wanna belly up to the bar for this thing?

Poge

Last edited:
I paid 100.00 for my best S-10. Mine takes alot of pulls to crank when cold, but I love to cut with it. I recently got a group of old saws, and got another one(top-handle model). Bar and chain were rusty as crap from being in a shed(dirt floor). I cleaned the powerhead up tonight and put some PB Blaster& Sea Foam in the cylinder. Cranked right up, but the fuel line is shot. I really like the OLD Stihls.

I paid 100.00 for my best S-10. Mine takes alot of pulls to crank when cold, but I love to cut with it. I recently got a group of old saws, and got another one(top-handle model).

Cool. I understand those to be pretty rare and sought after items as the older Stihls go. I seem to recall a recent link to Brad Snelling's photo web site with a superbly reconditioned top handle version along with a rear handle and I believe a S8 maybe?

So what do you do when parts are needed for the ol' girls?

BTW, I'll be checking out the one I mentioned more closely tomorrow.

Poge

Cool. I understand those to be pretty rare and sought after items as the older Stihls go. I seem to recall a recent link to Brad Snelling's photo web site with a superbly reconditioned top handle version along with a rear handle and I believe a S8 maybe?

So what do you do when parts are needed for the ol' girls?

BTW, I'll be checking out the one I mentioned more closely tomorrow.

Poge

I have another powerhead for parts, but that's all I got. I like the automatic oiling system on these. I'm sure you can find some parts. Fee-bay usually has alot of parts. Good luck.

I have another powerhead for parts, but that's all I got. I like the automatic oiling system on these. I'm sure you can find some parts. Fee-bay usually has alot of parts. Good luck.

I'm supposed to go check out the one in my area yet this evening. I did hit fee-bay for a while this afternoon looking at the parts availability and really started getting cold feet since I didn't find much.

BTW, your rear handle on the other thread looks to be a monster score! Serious props on that rascal.

And like Mark said on your Mac Timber Bear on yet the other thread, don't underestimate that beast either. I have one needing a little TLC, but it sure makes a lot o' noise and cuts some wood. A fun saw to break out now and again.

You seem to have had a good week!:cheers:

Poge

I'm supposed to go check out the one in my area yet this evening. I did hit fee-bay for a while this afternoon looking at the parts availability and really started getting cold feet since I didn't find much.

BTW, your rear handle on the other thread looks to be a monster score! Serious props on that rascal.

And like Mark said on your Mac Timber Bear on yet the other thread, don't underestimate that beast either. I have one needing a little TLC, but it sure makes a lot o' noise and cuts some wood. A fun saw to break out now and again.

You seem to have had a good week!:cheers:

Poge

Thakns, Poge. I'm gonna try that bear out tomorrow to drop a big old dead sweetgum tree. That will give it a work-out.

Back