A nice set up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffbm3

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So it's a little harder to get a lot of free wood lately without taking the HUGE rounds of Oak and Maple. I was finding that using a 20 inch bar on the 7901 to split my rounds was producing so many noodles that it would clog up if I went to fast.

I tried a couple of different combinations, and I found that an 8 tooth sprocket, a 20 inch bar, and Stihl RSF (skip tooth) cut plenty fast, felt like no load on the 7901 and had enough chip clearance to deal with all of the noodles. Just wanted to spread out the idea, so far it has worked like a champ for me, I just got in a bunch more RSF, and love it...

Pretty slow going though doing the rounds that way. I would get yourself a little hand winch like the type off a boat trailor etc.. and mount it on your pickup (front of the bed). Then a couple planks or ramp and you can crank them up the ramp and on. I just whack my pulphook into the round clip too the handle and crank them on. Wood Doctor gave me the idea! :cheers: :cheers:

Oh I never meant it to be fast, just cheap. This isn't for hauling them home. I am a tree drop for some of the local tree services. The trees that they bring me are getting bigger since the chippers are getting bigger, and since they get delivered, and I don't have to hump them into my truck, the only step is onto the splitter. I have yet to be able to roll a 40 inch piece of red oak up onto my old splitter. Therefore, if they bring me 2 ten foot sections, and I buck it up, I simply slice them in half to make it a little easier getting up onto the splitter. I need firewood, but I need my back even more. Anyway, I've never used a winch to move wood before, I think I will try it for the future scrounging that is inevitable.

Jason

Back