A pair of big Homelite geardrive saws..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM76

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here are some pics of a couple of Homelite 900G saws I managed to liberate from the U.S. today. Although one is missing the recoil starter handle (both saws are missing the recoil starter cover as per usual), the saws both turn over and appear to be in pretty good shape. One of the saws is fitted with a later design gear case cover - same as the the model 909G +, although I am unsure if this design was std on the later model 900G saws.

There was also a running Mac 790 amongst these bits and pieces so thought I would get it as well.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice looking saws. I appreciate the vintage quality of yesterdays saws. My back hurts just looking at them. lol :)

Very nice find. 112 cc's, domed piston, great port work. I think you will find that after you get them healthy and running that the power will suprise you. A little heavy and only a manual oiler, but a match (or overmatch) for power against any other big saw. These 500LB gorillas will pull loooong bars easy.

Something interesting is that the 9-23/9-26 were 100cc's and rated at 9hp while the later 900 series were 112cc's and still rated at 9hp. After having run the 990 D and G I think that the 9hp rating on the later big ones was very understated.

Last edited:
Those big Homies are some of the very few, that will pull a 72" bar, right out of the box.

Randy,

I wish I could find a 72" to put on one. :)

Well actually I guess I could buy a new one from Cannon but then I would have to put a 2nd mortgage on the house.

Bill

Very nice find. 112 cc's, domed piston, great port work. I think you will find that after you get them healthy and running that the power will suprise you. A little heavy and only a manual oiler, but a match (or overmatch) for power against any other big saw. These 500LB gorillas will pull loooong bars easy.

Something interesting is that the 9-23/9-26 were 100cc's and rated at 9hp while the later 900 series were 112cc's and still rated at 9hp. After having run the 990 D and G I think that the 9hp rating on the later big ones was very understated.

Thanks for the comments. I am looking forward to taking delivery of these Homelites and giving them a good makeover. I've read your comments about that 990G of yours Hoss and can't wait to have a go with one of these two. The saws come with roller nose bars - a 50" and a couple of 42" bars as well which is good. These will keep me happy as I have been chasing a 900 series Homelite saw for a while now!

Regards,

Chris.

You didn't liberate them, we sent them over to invade.:greenchainsaw:

Nice find.:)

Mr. HE:cool:

I was wondering if anyone could possibly shed some light on the different gear case cover designs of these two 900G saws ? As mentioned previously, I am unsure if the later design cover was a standard issue cover for the later series 900G's, or if the original cover has been broken during service and replaced with a newer style part ?

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks for the response. It is certainly great to hear about the potential and history of these big old saws. I am glad to finally get hold of a bit of that history - these saws came from the Redwood regions of California, so would have some stories to tell no doubt.

With a good clean up and inspection, I hope to have these saws mechanically sound and running in the future.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris, It's hard to see in the pic, but i think
the one you believe has a later design gear
cover looks to me that some one had cut it to
gain access to the handle support screws. The later
design covers look simmilar but more rounded in
that area. I also have one that was cut as well and
an original late design cover.

Lee

I see what you mean about the more rounded shoulder design of the later style covers Lee. It is interesting that these saws were modified to gain access to the handle support mounting screws - hence the reason why the covers were modified in the future models.

Thanks for the pick up on this modification.

Regards,

Chris.

Its interesting because if you look at the image in the IPLs, the cover on the 9-26 is rounded over, yet for the 990G it has the cutout, but Both show the identical part number of A-56699. In most cases Homelite would update a "dash" number on a revised part, but it doesn't appear to be the case on this cover, at least in the parts list I have. Maybe they didn't do this in the early days, or possibly there was an earlier revision of the 9-26 IPL where they actually had a different part number.

Dan

Chris-

I went and looked at those saws in person last year. I ended up buying a truckload of other stuff from the same guy including two nice 990Ds. He told me that his uncle had that Mac hopped up and won several contests with it in northern California in the 70's and 80's so there's a little bit of history there. I never got a chance to look inside the Mac so if there's interesting stuff inside, let us know.

Chris-

I went and looked at those saws in person last year. I ended up buying a truckload of other stuff from the same guy including two nice 990Ds. He told me that his uncle had that Mac hopped up and won several contests with it in northern California in the 70's and 80's so there's a little bit of history there. I never got a chance to look inside the Mac so if there's interesting stuff inside, let us know.

A very small world it is indeed! Glad to hear that you picked up those 990D's last year. The story about the Mac 790 is very interesting. Hopefully everything will be in order with the saw, and nothing gone wrong inside. You can never tell with some of the hotter saws. Thanks for the information Jacob J - its always good to hear about these things. I got onto this guy through another contact of mine, and it just happened to be that I was chasing a 900 series Homelite for my collection. There big old Homelite's are like hens teeth over here - well from what I have seen anyway, which is why I have had to start hunting in the US for them.

Thanks again for the information regarding the McCulloch saws history, and I will keep you posted with any discoveries as to modifications etc when I receive the saw.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris, When you get the saws.
Look at the bottom of the Mac and let
me know the number on the bottom of
the block, You never know you might have
a 797 in disguise.

Lee

Latest posts

Back