A poll on block heaters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman Mark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How cold does it have to get before your diesel won't start unless it has been plugged in over night ?
My tractor (Fiat) needs to be plugged in at 5 degrees C above freezing.

We plug the JD 2550 in if its going to be near freezing....at all below 30 degrees F, it won't start without it.

A few years ago we plugged it in 24/7 during the cold weather. Got the rural electric bill and got quite a SHOCK!!!! $$$$$$$$ Now I have the timer to turn it on at 7AM and off at 10AM.

Hope I remembered to plug it in this morning....17 degrees overnight. About time!!

You're welcome, Cary. :)

I hope it works out for you. The heater wouldn't be in use in the summer though...would it? Did you see the jump with the cold?

Hi Cary,

Depending on local energy costs, a block heater could cost up to several dollars/day to operate. the heaters that I`m accustomed to are between 1000 and 1500 watts, so you do the math.

Hi Che,

If Cary has an oil heater it probably heats the oil to some temp above ambient, even in the summer.Many oil heaters run hot enough to displace moisture from the oil, not just hot enough to allow easy cranking and quick lube. I know that we run some heaters between 130° - 140°F for this purpose.

Russ

Thanks Russ...I learn something new every day here.

Latest posts

Back