A Real Farm Saw (long)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got to know Billy thru his son-in-law, a coworker and close friend, in the early 70's. Billy had bought a tract near Albany, Missouri in the late 50's or early 60's and the first thing it needed was new fences. He first started out with a Strunk MorWood. PP AH-47 engine, gear drive and 1/2" chain. Weighed 34#.

IMG_0530 (Copy).JPG

Good thing he was a strong youngster at the time.

Later on he acquired a Lombard model 68 at a farm sale. Direct drive, PP AH-58 engine and 7/16" chain. Much lighter and faster than the strunk. His grandson tells me it's the loudest saw he ever heard. Having run it, I believe him.

IMG_0527 (Copy).JPG

Well, Billy passed a couple years ago in his mid 80's. He was still farming every day.

His grandson knew I collected old saws so he rooted the above out of grandpa's basement and left them with me.

As you might notice the Lombard has a broken frame. So, in the best tradition of 'farm fix' I used a length of 1/8 x 7/8 flat stock to make a splint. Formed the curve over a handy '69 vet rally wheel. Drilled, tapped eight #8-32 holes using just eyeball and a Sharpie for layout. Transfered the holes using the tap drill and a 'C' clamp. Billy would be prould of me as it would have been how he would do it.

Besides the frame repair, the rest was the normal fuel system and ignition overhaul. So, now he runs again.

IMG_0572 (Copy).JPG IMG_0574 (Copy).JPG

We still need to figure out an air filter element and are having trouble with an excessively worn sprocket but, getting there.

Thanks Billy for the many, many days spent on your farm hunting every critter that was in season at the time. And, some that weren't.

I see the wire tie trigger lock :) did that to my mighty mite

That wire is the throttle link. The zip tie is the high speed idle 'latch'.

Engine has the air vane governer set up so you can use it for a small generator, water pump or lawnmower.

Everybody and their borother used the Power Products engines to build chainsaws back then.

That wire is the throttle link. The zip tie is the high speed idle 'latch'.

Engine has the air vane governer set up so you can use it for a small generator, water pump or lawnmower.

Everybody and their borother used the Power Products engines to build chainsaws back then.
that's what I was meaning . The mighty mite won't start without having the throttle open and choke on

I have the oval shaped 'can' and cover but the foam element was crumpled to a gooey lump.

"Crumpled to a gooey lump." Lol. Good stuff, Man. Not what happened to your saw, but the use of active, effective language is sorely lost upon our youth. I enjoy the style. Don't just say what you mean, say how you mean it.

You can say, "The boy was kicking the ball." Right? Who cares, Brush Ape? I do.

What you mean is, "The boy kicked the ball." That's all business.

Neat story Carl :) and neat saw.

I'm with cobey on this one.

The third saw Allen, the grandson, drug out of the basement is a Pioneer P-20. Billy had bought it brand new at the 'farm store' in Albany. We dumped and rinsed the fuel tank a couple times, ground and polished the points and after a bit of pulling got him going. Sorry no picture of the little pup.

Latest posts

Back