A Saw's Lifetime

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Over the lifetime of a saw, what parts would be commonly replaced? What I'm looking for is an idea of what parts would it make sense to put away in order to keep your saw running for as long as possible . I'm thinking clutch drums, plugs, rings, carb rebuild kits, seals, gaskets, etc.
What frustrates me is paying the price for a premium professional tool that should last a lifetime, only to find that it is unusable some years down the line because an essential part is no longer available.
Thoughts?

RonL

I'd put away a cylinder with piston and rings for each "pro" saw you intend on keeping. I have them as back-ups for all of my saws. The other parts you've listed are generally easy to find for most "pro" saws. Keeping an older saw from entering the scrap pile is a good thing. The hardest parts to find for me have been the cylinders and pistons. Old Homelites, Poulans and Pioneer / Partner, Husky 288/2100, Stihl 064 slug and jugs are getting scarce as hen's teeth, and pricey when found.

That's not a bad plan at all. It really depends on how much it's used and how well you treat it. Firewood saws should last decades while tree service saws don't seem to make it past a few years. Of course there's always exceptions.

You mentioned a lot of the common wear parts, I can't think of anything to add.

Anything rubber. Impulse lines, intake boots, cylinder gasket, carb gasket. A spare carb or rebuild kit also. These items will stiffen or weaken over time just from sitting around. And you know it's almost impossible to get the fuel completely out of the carb and fuel lines.

How much are you going to cut? That is going to be the determining factor of what parts you are going to want. One of my employees has a MS362 that has cut 300 cords of fire wood so far. For some folks, that is 60 years of wood, some it's 30 years of wood... That saw has not needed a single thing except for a bar and a rim sprocket. That's it. It doesn't even take a pro saw to cut that kind of amount. I know of multiple 290's that have done just as well.

The other thing that matters is your definition of "lifetime". If it's 20 years, there is going to be no problem buying parts if you buy a popular saw. i just rebuilt a 35 year old Husqvarna 162 and found all the parts easily.

I personally wouldn't waste a dime on buying spare parts.

Sometimes purchasing the extra parts for a saw would be equivalent in dollars to purchasing another complete saw down the line. This is no guarantee that you will even use the parts at all.

General replacement of parts on a saw over it's lifetime is a given, just like brake shoes, rotors, ball joints, tires and so on with a vehicle.

With saws it's similar, as long as they're maintained. Wear parts such as clutches, bars, chains and piston rings are a given for replacement at some point in time.

Say you buy a saw for $600 and replace nothing but the wear items in it in the next 10 years....you're talking real cost of ownership is under 2 cents a day over 10 years. That saw is either making you money or saving you money with firewood or other jobs.

Pretty good return on investment.

Now, when it comes to parts...

Sourcing parts for an NLA model may be a little more work than going to the dealer and telling him you need a couple "503 85 45-01s"

If you have a common saw you should be able to find the parts for it somewhere, as I know dealers who have stock of 40+ year old Mac and Homelite parts. The stuff is out there, so I would cross that bridge when I got to it.

The duke makes a very good point, maybe if there is a saw you really, really like buy a spare and keep it in the box. ln future years you may sell it for a profit if you choose well.

If you cant get parts for a Pro saw that is 20yrs old or younger you bought the wrong brand of saw. All of my saws are 30yrs old or newer and none of the needed parts have been NLA. Dont waste your money.

I can't believe anyone on this site would keep a saw for a lifetime anyway. Long live CAD

Sent via mental telepathy

What I do is have "parts saws" for my Favorite Saws.
I just had to pull a part from a Mac parts saw to go on my runner.
Now I am working up a deal to replace the part.
That way I am not out cutting time with a down saw.
I have a few favorite saws and have backups for them.
As you grow in your CAD addiction, you will come across saws that you do not want, but will buy them to trade for something you want.
Here you have the greatest mix of saw lovers I have ever seen. If it is a saw, somebody here "needs" it to make their old/new saw be a runner again.

I just break em. Other than bar and chain. Clean air filter. If it doesnt work I email either Mastermind or tlandrum. If they cant fix it, then its time to look at new saws. Every saw I own will outlast me by a long shot.

Back