A Stihl Stump Grinder???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
h_IMG_4337.jpg

What is going on in this picture?

corrected spelling so he could find it WITH A SEARCH.

I searched it, but I didn't find the price on the thing.

I watched a couple of vids with the thing in use, and I wasn't sure if they were cutting really soft, rotting wood or not.

I will have the 3120 soon too for those tough to reach stumps.

I could have used one of those on one of my first jobs a long time ago. Handy man contractor hired me to cut down a grove of pepper trees, and trim a bunch more. I bid it for one thing, and I wound up working for a couple of dollars an hour because of the stump grinding involved.

This grove of pep trees was at the top of a cement water way between that and a picket fence 8 feet from the cement. No where to manuever a stump grunder.

What looked like a group of pep trees turns out to be a nasty 14 foot by 4 foot stump of feeder trees growing out of it. Solid, agonizing pain.

I was using the Home Depot rental push grinder on that for something like 24-30 hours. It still needed to be touched up when I was done. It was just in such a bad spot, it damn near broke me and my business. I tried to renegotiate the bid with the contractor, but he barely made an increase with me, and I made him wince a little bit about that too. I was stretched so thin...

Worst damn job ever, and taught me a very valuble lesson about bidding, and that I should get an Alpine Magnum :clap:

Thanks nmurph did'nt notice that I had not hit the L hard enough !.
Do a search on equipment form and there is a heap of info. It is not a straight bolt up to the 3120 i.e. different sprocket for belt drive and ported muffler from Alpine. I think they are around $4500/5000 with 3120 power head.

I'd love to try the Stihl powerhead. I have no problem with the Alpine Magnum w/ the Husqvarna 3120 powerhead on mine but I do find the exhaust can get nauseous by times.

Great unit, learn how to bid it and it's a money maker for sure. Wouldn't want to run it 8 hours a day though. 3 hours a day is enough.
Pete

Back