A very sad story in the news

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man accidently kills wife with chainsaw
Investigators say no foul play
involved
Updated: Monday, 11 May 2009, 8:11 AM EDT
Published : Sunday, 10 May 2009, 5:53 PM EDT

OTSEGO, Mich. (WOOD) - A woman was killed by her husband in a chainsaw accident Sunday afternoon.

The incident happened around 2:05 p.m.

The couple, in their 40s, were working together in their yard, trying to cut down a tree, when the woman was hit in the neck with the chainsaw her husband was operating. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

"I heard a cry for help, so I came outside and at that time I saw what was going on, and I rendered as much aid as I possibly could," said David Labonte, a neighbor and deputy for the Allegan County Sheriff's Department. "I'm glad that based on my position that I was the one that was the first to respond."

But nothing could help the woman who lived in the 700 block of Woodlea Avenue.

Labonte said he cannot relate to what the husband is feeling.

"I just can't even imagine," he said. "It's something I can't even fathom what he must be going through at this moment."

Investigators will continue to look into the details of what went wrong, but say there appears to be no foul play.

"In my mind personally, not having anything to do with the investigation, I honestly believe it was an accident," Labonte said. "I never heard them fight. They've always gotten along whenever you talked to them. He lived for her, she lived for him."

Investigators will not release the victim's name until the family, most of which is out of town, is notified. People in the neighborhood say the couple is loved very much.

Back