Aaagh! Hurricanes on the way what do I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningLoader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Live in Polk County FL, and had alot of bad tree experiences with the hurricanes last year. Thought maybe this year I could try to be better prepared. Here are my main questions:
1. Is there anything that I can do to prevent damage to my trees and help keep them upright through the strong winds?
2. What can I do after the hurricane devastates everything to help ease the stress on my trees?
3. How can I tell whether I should try to salvage a damaged tree or have it removed? (see pictures for example)

Tree #1 showed a lot of internal decay, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Tree #2 should probably be removed also. It looks like there won't be much left after all the damage is removed.

Its probably too late to do anything for this hurricane, unless you have trees with known defects. Then it may be better to cut them down if there is a chance they will damage your house or your neighbor's. My advice would be to have someone, like a consulting arborist, evaluate your trees looking for signs of weakness.

And remember, if you do get a direct hit from a major hurricane, even the best of trees is liable to fall.

Latest posts

Back