AARRGGHH Rounds compared to split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn.m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so local lady called me and wanted a half cord delivered. No problem I ask her what type of stove is it going in? I don't want to show up with 8 inch wide spilt stuff 18" long and have the customer refuse logs 1 by 1 - (happened last week! :buttkick::censored: )

Oh small stuff going in a pot belly stove. less than 7" and less than 18". Spent a couple of minutes going over what I have for sale. Rounds are about 7" up and split is under 7"

Ok no problem load the truck up with what under 7" stuff, a whole lot of it was in stick form and didn't need to be split. So go to drop it off. She sees the wood in the truck has no issue with it. Unload a small portion in one area, then move truck to a different spot to unload the rest of it. She watches me unload both places and has no issues with size or shape. Finish unloading and she pays me. Off we go.

This is Saturday night. Then Sunday afternoon she calls me and says she paid me too much money as she received rounds!

What the heck!!!! :censored: :dizzy: :censored:

I explain split was anything under 7" across and I had made sure that she received small stuff as she requested. She says she wants split stuff. I explain again she didn't get cheated she received a measured 1/2 cord 2x6.5x5 for $150.
She tells me that the small stuff doesn't get as hot. Ok you should have thought about this when you saw it in the truck!!!

Gee Whiz lady, I am already one of the the cheapest guys for about 60 miles on delivered seasoned oak at $300. Got me mad enough that I am ready to go pickup all of it and just give her all money back.

apparently she isn't cute or I hope you would have gone back to split it up :jester:

Bellyache

I feel your pain.

I would consider dropping by and explaining that anything that is the correct size isn't gonna be split! :monkey:

Unless I state otherwise ALL loads are mixed. I explain it.... If you think branches should be cheaper (you don't split them) then perhaps they would like to go cut me a FULL load of nothing but branches! :hmm3grin2orange: It is worth just as much as split, maybe more!

Show up with about 3 big guys in case you change your mind, do the refund and can load the truck quickly. I bet she comes to her senses. I am willing to wager that she wants someone to come over and apologize all over the place and throw money around, bring a axe and split all the pieces into smaller stuff.

Forget all that, I got a fantastic idea for ya! :cheers:
Get the splitter fired up, and manufacture a load of "small split". Really dinky. Like nothing over 3". Nothing over 14" long. Make it really cute.
Then drop by, listen to the moan story a little longer, then swap the load out!
However! The problem is that she is gonna love the small stuff and you are gonna have to provide that on a regular basis. :help:

-pat

I don't want to even touch the stuff after a certain point.

I had one guy call me and ask If I could deliver small split stuff, like 3-5 inches big. i told him that means that I have to touch the wood 6 times instead of 3 times. However, I could deliver some small branches as i don't have to split them.
This guy then asked me if he would receive a discount for the small branches as I would not have to split them! :ices_rofl:
Very politely I said no same price.

I personally would tell her to pound salt and never deal with her again, she saw the load before it was unloaded and said nothing then so too bad. let her shop in the paper and see if she will actually get someone to give her something that small enough for her without jacking the price. around here if you get a load even some has to be split, you gave her a deal by bringing small stuff, seperating is labor intensive. Take her off your customer list

Unless you have done it, people don't realize how how long / how many sticks it takes to a cord of wood. I quit at about 3" dia and don't even get that small most of the time.

Don

People don't understand how long it takes to cut the small rounds. I had a customer tell me he didn't want the rounds after I dumped the load. I tossed all the rounds back in the trailer. I would have charged him less for the load but he still gave me the full cord price. Not such a bad guy I guess. (This was before I had a supersplit)

Now with the supersplit I will split every piece even down to 2" dia at least once. Most of my wood ends up under 4", just trying to serve the customers in the area.

People don't understand how long it takes to cut the small rounds. I had a customer tell me he didn't want the rounds after I dumped the load. I tossed all the rounds back in the trailer. I would have charged him less for the load but he still gave me the full cord price. Not such a bad guy I guess. (This was before I had a supersplit)

Now with the supersplit I will split every piece even down to 2" dia at least once. Most of my wood ends up under 4", just trying to serve the customers in the area.

just curious, are you in southern NH? there is someone on another thread from southern NH who sell face cords for $445. seemed outrageously expensive to me.

just curious, are you in southern NH? there is someone on another thread from southern NH who sell face cords for $445. seemed outrageously expensive to me.

I have heard of that guy. He sells "specialty wood" One of my costumers called him for wood once when I was sold out. My customer called me back to tell me about the crazy prices. I can't blame the guy for serving the niche market. Many people selling wood don't want to stack it for there customers. I don't mind doing it and get paid well to do it.

I guess my customers are going to be pleasantly surprised getting some apple wood in there load at regular price...

i would be verry happy if i were your customers. i guess "specialty wood" would be apple, pear, cherry, etc...?

Back