Abies grandis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Abies grandis, AKA Grand Fir. I'm sure I probably have burned it in the past, but I am not sure how "quick" it burned and I lived on the other, colder side of the mountains. I have been invited to go cut up a large one that is already down. I guess it wouldn't hurt, except for my muscles. He said it is about 3 feet on the large end. I now live on the milder climate side of the mountains.

I've got about 2 winter's worth of firewood cut and split, but there'll be room once I have the woodshed full.

Comments? Opinions?

Make BIG candles. Jani May can carve scary faces in them.

How do I move it? Hook up The Used Dog to a block and tackle system and throw a ball?:) I may go out and look tomorrow. If it is fir, it ought to be light, right??

Hmmmm, sounds like a FOREST ENGINEERING problem. This could be fun.

Last edited:
How do I move it? Hook up The Used Dog to a block and tackle system and throw a ball?:) I may go out and look tomorrow. If it is fir, it ought to be light, right??

Yup. You went to school for that stuff. Get after it. :msp_biggrin:

OR, you could just leave it there??:msp_sleep: Or give it away?:msp_biggrin:

Depending on how far you have to haul it, it probably won't be worth the effort compared to locally available higher BTU woods?? :msp_wink:

Just wonderin'??

I have put it off for cooler weather. I looked, and it sits in nettles that are over my head. There will be brush to trim just to get at it. I'm more interested in the top, which might be scandihoovian candle worthy.

Instead, I cut up a recent maple blowdown and it was just enough to weigh down the pickup properly. It will be bone dry :msp_biggrin: in a couple of years. There's another easy one to go get too.

The big fir looks like it will need some wedging at the least.

Back