About to start with a chainsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think before you get too far into your project you need to see if there are any local building codes you will need to comply with. In some locations only graded lumber is allow in the construction of a home. I would hate to see you spend a lot and time on money on a project only to have the city/county not pass it on inspection.

While I have never built a house with rough sawn lumber, I have built some sheds with oak, hickory and gum. In dried lumber be prepared to drill pilot holes in order to drive a nail.

I just asked. Only the lumber for the trusses and the frame needs to be graded and there is a guy that will grade my lumber for me. So that is one more thing to do. The building permit is only good for six months but they said that if we are making progress they will extend it.

I suppose you could mill all the lumber for a house with an Alaskan Mill, and it's probably been done, but I can't say I'd recommend it. But there's a guy up in Manitoba who claimed he and a helper once milled 75 various 2x4's, 2x6's, etc. in a single day, all 16 feet long from spruce. On a really good day I can mill about 150 BF of red oak, maple, or ash. Hickory is much harder than those, and I'd say I'm down to maybe 100 BF/day. Still, you could make enough flooring, trim, etc. in a few weeks.

The easiest way I've found to move logs around is with a log dolly and a 4-wheeler. I don't have a tractor, etc., so this was my solution. I made the log dolly myself for a couple hundred dollars using the rear stub axles off an old Chevy X-body. It can handle logs up to about 24" with no problem. So this is how a get them to my milling site. Once there I pick them up with a simple 2-ton chain fall hoist suspended from a teepee made from three 10 foot long 4 x 4's that I "walk" over the log. One the end of the chain fall is a set of log tongs that grabs the log in order to lift it (the same tongs are used on the log dolly). Once you find the balance point of the log it's easy to pick it up - I've lifted 12' long 20" diameter oaks with this device with no problem and completely safely. I pick it up about 18 - 20 inches and slide a couple of log rounds underneath, then carefully lower the log onto them. I try to make one end about 4 - 6 inches higher than the other to let gravity help with the milling process. This gets the top of the log up around 36" to start with, but you still have to bend over or work from your knees for the last several cuts unless you pick the log up a second time.

I can post photos if you're interested. Good luck. Heck of a project you're undertaking.

About drying what you've milled. First, it's best to accept that you're likely to loose about 20% due to warping, splitting, etc., no matter what you do, or at least you won't get usable full length boards from that portion. Hickory is actually a little less of a problem drying than red oak, and I have very little problem with that. You'll have even less problem the more of it you quarter saw, but hickory looks better to me plain sawn.

I debated the whole solar kiln idea as well, and some good comments have been posted here. In the end, I decided to let mother nature do a lot of the work by just stickering the fresh cut lumber under some shade trees, covering it with corrugated roofing, and letting it dry for a season or two. I've found that one summer is enough to get the moisture content down to about 16% here in western NY. I then bring the wood into my cellar where I built a dehumidification kiln at a cost of about $200 that dries it down to the 8% I'm looking for for my furniture. I can dry 275 BF per load at a cost of less than $20 - cheap enough - in about 10 -14 days. I got the basic plans for the kiln from an excellent article in Fine Woodworking. The design could easily be reproduced for much larger quantities, and located in a garage, out-building, or even it's own stand-alone building. Drying wood is not hard, nor does it have to be expensive, but you have to have a plan before you cut the first board.

If you want to make flooring, trim, etc. you will need a planer and/or molding machine, no way around it, unless you like the feel of rough sawn lumber under your feet. Wear shoes if you do. Nailing down tongue and grooved hickory is no more difficult than any other hardwood using a pneumatic flooring nailer.

You are embarking on one monumental project. Good luck.

Last edited:
....She read somewhere that we may have to use graded lumber on the trusses and frame....

From everything I have read about roof trusses (I assume you are not doing floor trusses), you will be better off purchasing them. The time and money spent engineering your own just are not worth it, again from what I have read.

Check out the Fine Homebuilding website forum Breaktime for construction questions. I have learned much there.

Latest posts

Back