? about transfer ports on 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbcrazyjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
for all of you that are smarter than I please help. I started off with a good running 034 and could not leave well enough alone so I took a oem 036 p/c lowered the cylinder .040 removed the gasket .020 for a total of .060. I turned a .057 pop up on piston got a squish of .018. I raised the exhaust back to factory and widened the ports to 70% Now to the ? should i raise the upper transfers because as of right now she runs very very well for a 64cc saw at 14700rpms what will i gain with raising the ports?
thanks

More RPM in the cut is what I'm finding. It stands to reason in my feeble brain that if we increase intake and exhaust duration without increasing the transfer timing we are leaving out a crucial step in the porting process.

That is why Im asking. The saw runs well but if i can make it do more then all the better
thanks for the quick response

Blair's work on designing two-strokes indicates about .0066 time area (.000066 Jennings figure) on the transfers for a chainsaw. If you are raising the cutting RPM, then you have to be able to feed the cylinder at that higher RPM (by keeping the same time area for the new RPM). Otherwise, as Mastermind has stated, you won't be able to hold the rpm in the cut.

Back