Absolute needs for a new business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BisonSkinner

Reaction score
Howdy yall
I'm a college student who has a love for chainsaws and wood cutting. Been using a saw for a decade, and falling trees for 5 years. Im trying to start a business surrounding tree removal and trimming to fund my education as a wildlife biologist, but I need to know what are the essentials to start. This includes equipment and gear, educational materials, insurances and bonding, licensing...ect. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Find the best tree company in your area and get hired on. You will learn more in the first week than you have in the last 10 years, I promise you. I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but there really is only one way to learn this business, and that is a hands on apprenticeship.

Find the best tree company in your area and get hired on. You will learn more in the first week than you have in the last 10 years, I promise you. I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but there really is only one way to learn this business, and that is a hands on apprenticeship.
This is a good answer. I wish you the best but this isn't something you really want to learn the hard way. Doing some minor trimming or maybe some smaller removals is one thing. Tangling with the big stuff is something different. And to be honest....you don't even have to take our word for it. I don't mean this in a bad way but.....if you want the job to teach you......don't worry. It will.

Howdy yall
I'm a college student who has a love for chainsaws and wood cutting. Been using a saw for a decade, and falling trees for 5 years. Im trying to start a business surrounding tree removal and trimming to fund my education as a wildlife biologist, but I need to know what are the essentials to start. This includes equipment and gear, educational materials, insurances and bonding, licensing...ect. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Unless you've already worked for another company and seen what goes on day to day at company, and learned the dos and don'ts I personally wouldn't start just yet. Go find someone to work under like others in the thread have said, and after a year or two you will know a crazy amount about the business, especially if you are able to get close with the owner and talk to him about how things are going down on a day to day basis.

The dude deleted his post between my last two posts but that's fine. I hope that means that he's listening to what we're saying. You want to do this? Great. I totally support that. But listen to the guys who are trying to keep you alive. Ask as many questions as you want....but....know where you are right now and be careful with what you want to take on.

Howdy yall

Hi there BisonSkinner
There are many essentials to running and starting a tree service business. The following list of factors critical to start-up success in the tree service industry comes from a good-sized poll we ran in late 2019 amongst successful tree biz owners:

10. Start with No Debt

9. Create and Use Proper Bid sheets and Terms of Service/Payment

8. Plan your Business Carefully with a Written Business Plan

7. Bid for Profitable Work

6. Anticipate & Plan for Unexpected Events

5. Be Fully Insured

4. Look professional, Be Professional

3. Hire & Retain Great Crew

2. Get Proper Tree Climbing & Tree Cuttings Skills!

1. Build Your Reputation for Excellent Service

Feel free to DM me if you want the full article as there is a lot of texture here.

Facebook Poll.jpg

Back