Accessory straps on a Buck Pinnacle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, the disclaimer:
It is NOT recommended you fabricate your own custom gear, even if the OSHA approved stuff that's out there is lame in comparison.

I enjoy testing new gear and if the gear hasn't been invented, I have no problem fabricating something and taking it up for a whirl. If it falls short of excellent, I'll either make a new, better one or improve the first one, or ditch it all together. If the piece of gear doesn't exist, what other choice do I have?

There's probably a kajillion ways to set up a saddle. This is just one guy's way, it's not THE way or the best way, and what works for me may not work as well for you. I'm not suggesting anyone try this setup. I'm simply sharing what works well for me.

A multi-disclaimer thread. :p

Have we answered the original thread question yet or are we just taking a really long time in getting around to it?

Great info TreeMachine

Thanks for all the great info, especially the pictures. It's easy to get lost when someone is explaining how there saddle is set up. I tried your setup with the chainsaw lanyard and really liked it. It also gave me an idea and I found a way to slide a small link behind the side D, from there I have a wire biner to snap my saw to. The saddle side of the chainsaw biner clips into a delta twist on my side D. Works great so far.

I was also wondering about Ekka's "J" hooks that he hangs the ring of his chainsaw lanyard from. Where do you get them?, or did you have them made? Also do you find that your saw falls off? I do mostly pruning jobs and find myself often in some crazy positions.

Great replies! Keep them up, and the pictures!

I have to be 100% honest, I have never had that lanyard fail and have never dropped a saw from it.

I've dropped saws before, like all of us, but that was earlier in my career and it was due to me not paying attention, like letting go of the saw thinking it was on lanyard.

The lanyard was made so that I COULD drop the saw and not have it yank my hip. Also when you're limb walking and trailing the saw on lanyard, if the saw is hung by a strap or length of rope and the saw gets hung up on something, you stop sharp. The bungee lanyard at least gives you an elastic warning.

I have the saw on and off lanyard a lot, so that's one of the great joys is how swiftly I can take it off and on.

Wow, here's a really old image. The chainsaw end of the chainsaw lanyard has a Kong aluminum grenade gate double lock, the biner I started with when the lanyard was originally made. it lasted less than 2 years before the spring in the gate blew out. To the left (looking at the image), or backside, right hip, you can see the Petzl William ball lock, not yet employed into the lanyard. The Peltor radio headset there has been discontinued now for years. The saddle looks hardly beaten, you should see it now. The green hotwire biner is shown clearly in it's tunnel slot and if you look over top of the saddle to the other side, you can see a Petzl Sprit bent-gate in the other side tunnel, peeking just over the top.
attachment.php

Tree Machine said:
Have we answered the original thread question yet or are we just taking a really long time in getting around to it?
Who cares, this stuff is gold!! I love seeing how guys mod stuff to make it work for them. Probably have seen over 50 different saddles over the years and every one is set up differently.
Now, I don't want you guys thimking I'm deserting you but I can't hang around here the next couple of days-g/f wants to go Christmas shopping tonight and dinner with her folks tomorrow night. But when I get back, as long as we are talking about saw lanyards, have a few ideas and questions. Namely, accidently dropped a 394 a couple months back (yes, we get into trees that big a couple times a month-mainly the big cottonwoods by the lake shore) and when it hit the end of its lanyard, I thought for a minute I broke my back. Never been a huge fan of bungee lanyards because they never seem long enough for me and not even sure if they could withstand a shock like that. So I've been messing with a couple different ways of carrying a saw in a tree without it hanging off your belt. Will have to fill you in on the problems and successes I've had. And TM, since your the inventor, any ideas? Also, didn't I read in another thread a while back about how you built your saw lanyard. Could I use these instructions to build one that would fit my arm length? PM me if you don't want to share that info in the site for safety purposes. Sorry for any spelling errors-in a hurry-later.

Oh, also why I've never been a fan of hanging weight off the upper d's but why you can get away with it on the buck pinnacle. (Could be wrong-just skimmed your latest posts-will digest fully in a couple days.):)

Oh, about that $64,000, will you take an out of state, personal check?:D

Back