Accolade Elm with substantial woodpecker drilling. Is this a sign of infestation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilaAdam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About 11 years ago, I planted an Accolade elm as a bare root tree. It has grown rapidly and is now over 40 feet tall. This spring, I noticed substantial woodpecker drilling all along its trunk. Is this a sign of an infestation, and if so, does it warrant action? Besides the woodpecker holes, what else should I look for? In recent years, I have noticed that by summertime its leaves are full of holes, although the leaf damage has never been bad enough to cause foliar loss.

I have a stand of very mature hemlocks that I have treated every 3 - 5 years with imidacloprid drenches when the adelgid gets too troublesome, but I'm also aware of the environmental harms of neonics so I want to use them judiciously. All this is to say is that I'm capable of treating the elm if it's infested, but don't want to do that unless there's evidence an infestation is endangering its health.

Any recommendations?

2022-05-21 16.14.02.jpg2022-05-21 16.15.29.jpg

The sidewalk adjacent the elm is already cracked from the century-old mature sycamore it replaced. I don't imagine the elm will present more of an issue.

Back