ACTIVE speed evo - do you know anything about these saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavel408

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Italian made professional (magnesium case, aluminium handle, etc.) saw, Zenoah engine, Walbro carburator.

upload_2019-6-20_14-54-49.png

Three models 51.51, 56.56, 62.62 differ ONLY in cylinder, piston and shaft (parts list https://www.v-garden.cz/files/partlisty/motorove_pily_active_08-14_2.pdf ) - the weight is the same 5,2 kg (!) (manual https://www.active-srl.com/sites/default/files/manuali/(025183) MTS-51-56-62-I_gb_fr_te_sp_rus_port_ola (Eur 2) v3.pdf ).

And now the interesting part: POWER
cc - kW - kg/kW ratio
51 - 2,7 - 1,93
56 - 3,0 - 1,73
62 - 3,4 - 1,53 <- the best result in 60 cc class (MS362 1,6 and 562xp 1,7)

Question: I've never heard about ACTIVE, what is the problem with these saws?

EDIT: Added link to the owner's manual.

Vendor claims that design and assembly is done in Italy... https://www.active-srl.com/it/catalogo/motoseghe

The 41.41 in the IPL is unequivocally a Komatsu/Zenoah design.
It's possible that the horizontal cylinder models are original. Anybody recognize them?
The 52cc and above also look to be Komatsu/Zenoah derived but it's not possible to tell just by looking here whether they are knock-offs or in fact, license-built.

I don't think they are Chinese knockoffs,they might be Italian made for real.Problem is that in my country their prices are rediculus.The 62.62 model goes for 500€,who is gonna bother with them when the Makita 6100 is only 40€ more or the Echo 590 for 60€ more.If they were cheap i would try them but with these prices i don't think so.Power ratings are on par with the big boys,truth is that some videos i watched,they look fast and powerfull but price is way over.pavel408,what prices do you see in your country?

I just bought a bergin Castor saw made in Italy. She’s looking smooth lines like a lambro, lol. But this one the grill lines I’ve seen before in red?

Prices?

I was looking at Alpina and Castor saws too, Just looking for now I have saws to fix.

The 41.41 in the IPL is unequivocally a Komatsu/Zenoah design.
It's possible that the horizontal cylinder models are original. Anybody recognize them?
The 52cc and above also look to be Komatsu/Zenoah derived but it's not possible to tell just by looking here whether they are knock-offs or in fact, license-built.

The first three are zenoah copies and last three are a copy of the Husqvarna 51. The cylinder shape was a dead giveaway for me, they changed the cylinder design slightly moving the impulse port and adding a nipple.

what prices do you see in your country?

Even more ridiculous for Active (we are farther from Italy ;)), otherwise similar.
.............................kg/kW
PS6100.......530......1,8
62.62..........585. .... 1,5
CS-590........585......2,0
CS-620SX....700......1,9
MS362 C-M..870......1,6
562xp..........910......1,7

The first three are zenoah copies and last three are a copy of the Husqvarna 51. The cylinder shape was a dead giveaway for me, they changed the cylinder design slightly moving the impulse port and adding a nipple.
I recognised the shape of the cylinder fins as similar to Partner 500/Husqvarna 50 but the intake port is different. Need to take a closer look on a bigger screen than a phone.

Oops! Looks like I was too quick to assign all the vertical cylinder models as Zenoah derived after a quick glance at the IPL and without looking at the website. I saw the Zenoah-identical 41.41 and assumed that the 51, 58 & 62cc models on sale now were not the ones in the IPL.

Now that I've had a proper look at them, I'd say the crankcase is unique and I see what TheBrushSlasher is talking about.

Apparent sources.
Both Partner 500 & Husqvarna 50: cylinder exterior shape, carb mounting wall.
Partner 500: air filter/choke.
Husqvarna 50: throttle rod design, basic a/v and tank/handle design, oil pump.

Interestingly, the flywheel and starter are more akin to Stihl.

Latest posts

Back