add-on wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The barometrics draft regulator does ,but the blower does not.
You may already have a blower off of your old furnace that would work just fine....maybe a stat too.
We do not want to make you buy anything more than you have too.

My 1600 M came with a 3 speed blower, same size ash pan with a handle on it and I dump mine about every 3 days from 24/7 burning. The least of the work is ashes. It has a shaker and prob if you burn green wood you would get more ash....I don't.

Mine, about 3 years ago was 1395. on sale and I got it for a thousand as it had some scratches in the sheet metal and I didn't even ask for discount. Only thing I have done to it was, as I said, was add a humidifier (a must IMO) and 2 fire bricks about $4 ea. Seems unusual a blower is an option.

My 1600 M came with a 3 speed blower, same size ash pan with a handle on it and I dump mine about every 3 days from 24/7 burning. The least of the work is ashes. It has a shaker and prob if you burn green wood you would get more ash....I don't.

Mine, about 3 years ago was 1395. on sale and I got it for a thousand as it had some scratches in the sheet metal and I didn't even ask for discount. Only thing I have done to it was, as I said, was add a humidifier (a must IMO) and 2 fire bricks about $4 ea. Seems unusual a blower is an option.

Not unusual at all.
If you connect an add on to another furnace and you do in a series install an additional blower is not required...only in a parallel installation would you need an optional blower.
A stand alone install would also need a blower.

So we are not going to make a guy buy more than he needs.We will also not make him go to a retailer to buy a unit that has been marked up by twice what they paid for it.
We will also not charge sales tax unless in Mn.
A furnace normally sits in the basement. A blower from an old furnace if in good shape and if it was large enough to do the job before can be attached to the side of an addon.
It gets hid inside of a cold air return box anyway.

Bought through a store our BJ90 should go for around 3000$...so to buy direct for 1588$ vs....the cheaper furnaces gotten through Fleet or Harbor Freight...what are you really getting?

Last edited:
A series install is a great way to install a furnace. But you need to make sure that you have little resistance in the ducting. Also to get the efficiency out of a Central Furnace (Gas or Electric) you need a bypass damper when not using the woodfurnace so the hot air can bypass instead of hitting the woodfurnace when its not in use. You can go without the bypass, but if you have central air its a must. I preferred a series install because you can maximize the use of the return and supply. One other thing about Series you need to make sure you have the same flow as the central furnace so not to damage your fan, or overpressure your system. This could cause your Furnace to limit and potentially a shut down would occur and the fan becomes useless until you reset your central furnace. Now the large furnaces with the large blowers are excellent, due to no strain on the central furnace. They can get the heat up and away from the furnace and through the home easier.

The Yukon BJ90 looks like an excellent add on. For me, though, I can't really justify $2300 before any ductwork or chimney lining. I have no certain source of free wood, and if I'm paying 150/cd for oak, which is pretty cheap round here, I can just as easy pay 150 and heat with gas for the month.

I'm going with the Daka myself. I've heard generally good things about it, and it's definitely better than the homebuilt unit I'm using now that has 2 squirrel cage fans sucking out of an enclosure to heat the kitchen/living room. Even using that almost exclusively, I went through less than 4 cord, 1 cord softwood.

If I had more than a single income (and more layoffs pending) I would probably spring for the higher unit.

I installed a Norseman 2500 last summer. I have a large, drafty house and it kept us warmer than the propane ever did. Based on last year's propane costs, I saved well over $2000 the first winter. I have it set as a stand- alone and it is plumbed into the main ductwork of the house. It is equipped with a double blower and seems to do pretty well.

The add-ons are a good investment if you have large propane bills.

I have been using an ashley model 8100 aka 1978 worked great but not eficiant , I recently replaced it witha volegzang norseman 1500 and it heats my 2400 sq ft home np , the max burn time i got was 6 hours with a maple ash mulberry mix .

http://www.vogelzang.com/browse.cfm/wood-stoves/noresman-add-on-furnace/4,11.html

where to buy.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200324759_200324759

Good for you.....not back biting here at all ,but I'd like to make a comment.
If you buy a wood appliance...the best value is to get one that heats your whole home long enough so the fire never goes out.
10-12 hour burns times are ideal.Load in the a.m. and again in the p.m. operating 24/7.
Really if the fire goes out there has to be something else like gas or oil to come on.....now you'll have a bill. If you get the correct unit...no bill anymore.
So to spend a bit extra in the long run benefits you greatly.
This is not a short term investment. Done properlly your payback over a 20 year period can be a huge amount of money.
In a 12 year span my $1500 add on has put 30K back in my pocket.
I did load 72 cords in that time to earn that money...6 cords a year in northern Mn. keeping my home 75 degrees.My furnace is still in great shape.

Last edited:
Insulation in a house is just as important as the heating itself. We have 10" walls full of foam in our home. The last 2 hours before waking up we would have heat in the furnace, but not alot for the fans would cycle on and off. Without insulation, the furnace wouldn't keep up. Now when it was -20 and the chill was on, I would wake up in the middle of the night to reload. I could have gotten a 10 to 12 hour burn, but the heat would have been minimal at best. I burnt our furnace the same in the day as the night, without damping it down. Your better with a high heat output and a shorter burn time than a lower heat output that can't keep up with the homes heating demand. Either way whether you spend 1,000 or 5,000 you are saving money heating with wood.

Good for you.....not back biting here at all ,but I'd like to make a comment.
If you buy a wood appliance...the best value is to get one that heats your whole home long enough so the fire never goes out.
10-12 hour burns times are ideal.Load in the a.m. and again in the p.m. operating 24/7.
Really if the fire goes out there has to be something else like gas or oil to come on.....now you'll have a bill. If you get the correct unit...no bill anymore.
So to spend a bit extra in the long run benefits you greatly.
This is not a short term investment. Done properlly your payback over a 20 year period can be a huge amount of money.
In a 12 year span my $1500 add on has put 30K back in my pocket.
I did load 72 cords in that time to earn that money...6 cords a year in northern Mn. keeping my home 75 degrees.My furnace is still in great shape.

I can get a 10 hour burn if I use a hickory , oak , ash , the maple is free and adbundent but burns really quick . So with that said the type of wood you burn has alot to do with your burn time .

I know this thread is a bit dated. I just wanted to say that I just purchased a 1557m from TSC and absolutely love it. We bought it a day before a big blizzard and set it up that night. Living in Iowa we can get som hellish cold nights and days in the winter. This stove so far (four weeks now) has heated out entire house (1950 sqft) on its own and I may have burned about 3/4 of a cord of wood. I burn maple ash and oak in so far. I have found a sawmill that is selling their bundles of slabs for about 25 bucks each (about a half cord in each). I have had no issues with the burn time so far with this stove. This poor bastard hasnt had a chance to even cool down. load it heavy about 9 at night and by 7 am I might have to toss a few more pieces on to to just maintain the house for the rest of the morning. Only issue I have is the small ash pan wish to hell they had designed a larger pan for removal. Take care all and I am looking forward to reading the other threads in here

Bj-90

I just installed a BJ-90 stove and it is the cats meow. Love the stove, works very well. Had a daka and it heated the house but we called it gofer wood. The BJ-90 is ten times the stove and I am burning at least half the wood for the same heat. I do have to get used to the lower stack temps. But I will get there. Mike

Still on a mad love affair with my US Stove 1600M. About 5 years on it now and still have not found a flaw after I removed the flap meant to keep the smoke in the box. No stove is any better than this that is inside.

johnson energy system

first year heating with a wood add on furnace, found a used Johnson energy systems j9900 for $400, put 2 new blower motors on and it works like a champ. installed a chimney liner, built a splitter and stock piled some wood, if i fill it at 10pm i will have good coals at 6am. my house is surrounded by open corn fields 1900 sq ft, drafty and built in the early 1900's. it might not be the best stove (but it was probably top of the line in 1983) it will keep my house 77-78 dgrees on a 10 dgree breezy day.

All I can say is after looking at all of them, when I buy it will be a Yukon Eagle, prolly a super jack add on furnace, made in the US vs a chinese import, just go to their banner on the sponsor heading and go to testimonials. It is incredible, compare them spec to spec against others. Break down the cost difference in the number of years you plan on using the furnace. Just say it's 1500.00 higher.
1500 divided by 20 wow 75.00 bucks a year/ 6.25 a month is it worth it?

I just installed a BJ-90 stove and it is the cats meow. Love the stove, works very well. Had a daka and it heated the house but we called it gofer wood. The BJ-90 is ten times the stove and I am burning at least half the wood for the same heat. I do have to get used to the lower stack temps. But I will get there. Mike

Thanks Mike!
I also love my Big Jack!
all of my neighbors are asking me...are burning wood this year? I ask why do they ask ? Of course I say..well your wood pile is not getting any smaller:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Latest posts

Back