Adding thermal mass?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 5-gal stainless pot sitting on a few bricks on top of my stove. Water has a high heat capacity and keeps the air inside the house from drying out so much.

I was wondering why you were running the stove this time of year? Then saw your location in Southern Hemisphere . How cold do your winters get there?

I've got a 5-gal stainless pot sitting on a few bricks on top of my stove. Water has a high heat capacity and keeps the air inside the house from drying out so much.

I was wondering why you were running the stove this time of year? Then saw your location in Southern Hemisphere . How cold do your winters get there?
Days of 5c to 10c and nights of -5c to +5c on average. We have already had some snow this year.

Do the ponds and lakes ever freeze over? I need to do some reading on your geology/climate
No, not really. The other week we had 5 nights in a row of -5c and days of 3 to 5c and the ground was very frozen, and any smaller standing water would freeze over and any that didn't get sun on them stayed frozen the whole time and just kept getting thicker in ice..

Ok. After a few months of having the bricks on each side of the fire about an inch off the fire box and I think it's been better, it says warm for longer. The down side is how long it takes to warm up, and it's not enough thermal mass to stay warm for a really long time. I think I'll see if I can get a few more layers of bricks, or try some other layouts next winter.

Added during a major remodel it straddles a poured foundation wall. About 1500 pounds of masonry with air channels to circulate heat. Steel studs and tile backer board provide the structure. No fan needed. less than one degree variation floor to peak in the great room. A cat equiped Pacific energy vented with 8" class A. Snagged off craigslist for $400, it's been heating the 1600' house for 15 years. When temps dip to the teens it still requires a 2AM feeding. Dog spends much of winter on the hearth.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back