Wood Heater Questions x2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, an update on this thread.

I still haven't replaced the door seals, which I think will solve the issue with the left hand side. But I have (mostly) fixed the draw issue.

So I picked up this for $50aud

DSC_0864.JPG

Obviously it's from a chimney not a flue, so I had to get a bit of 6 inch pipe that I could weld to. Unfortunately I couldn't find any easily, but I was given an old fire extinguisher to cut up. It was slightly too wide, so I had to narrow it.

DSC_0904.JPG

Now it's on the flue and whenever there is a breeze the fire draws much better and no smoke comes into the house when the fire door is open. It burns a bit hotter and cleaner too.

DSC_0937.JPG

I'll still keep an eye out for a better bit of steel and one day it won't have be yellow, but I'm happy with how it functions.

Hey all, so here's my last update I think. The cowl is still on the flue and working well, all painted up nicely and with the right grease, so it's wrking well. Over summer on some windy nights i notied i could hear the wind in the flue more and assumed it was because of the cowl, but i ended up figuring out that the cound was coming from the join in the flue and the fire box. the flue was too high and free floating. since fixing that i no longer get any wind noise and the fire draws much better. I also added some springs to the nuts that hold the intake vent in place and now it all seals up very tightly, so i can shut it right down, which it never did before. all in all i'm pretty happy with it and will see how it goes over winter.

Pic of stove? I wonder if your stove is similar to one I had where you had to open the draft/baffle whatever you want to call it a few seconds before you open the door to let the draft pick up. Hopefully the new gasket helps you out. Is that a body of water in your house picture or just a foggy valley? either way it's nice!

Back