Advertising for Selling Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vortec-Z71

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have about 30 or so cords for this year for a little extra income. I've been advertising on Craigslist (I live about 30 mins south of Boston). I do get responses but the problem is that many people live too far away to make the trip worth it. What do you guys do for local advertsing? Ideally, I just want to deliver to surrounding towns.

I don't sell firewood, but a lot of guys in this area advertise at the local woodstove and wood furnace stores

I've also seen a couple of those little cheap signs stuck in the ground by like a stop sign or something.

Put on the flyer though how long it's been seasoned. I'm sure yours has been seasoned for a year or longer and people will buy that quick. A lot of firewood sellers I have seen don't sell stuff that is too well seasoned

The problem is that you have been advertising by the cord. Try modifying your ad to sell it by the rick, rank, row, pile, stack, face cord or some other indeterminate amount and it will fly out the door. :laugh:

I put an ad up in local variety store windows. I have never had any problem getting rid of my wood. If you sell a good product, you will get many repeat customers for future seasons.

Add a picture to your Craiglist ad, it gets more responses. Also, put your delivery radius in your ad so that you weed out some of the responses from people outside of that.

I have a few pics on my Craigslist ad. I'm also thinking of placing one of those ads where you can rip off a phone number at the local pizza shop since my dad knows the owner.

Now look at who is guilty of posting an "indeterminate response". :confused:

I guess that you missed the smiley at the end of my post.

Perhaps I should have used the "tongue in cheek" one to convey the humor.

65051706.xkI91cbe.DSC_69392.jpg

put your delivery radius in your ad so that you weed out some of the responses from people outside of that.

That doesn't work here... people are either too stupid or too lazy to determine whether or not they're local to a town they've never heard of.

I would rather say no to people too far away than get no phone calls at all. When things are really slow and money is short my radius expands quite a bit.

If they want it, sell it

...just add a delivery charge past your close-by cutoff point for free delivery. They can say yes or no then, you are right there on the phone with them, easy enough to quick whip out the google or yahoo or mapquest mapping thing. "Yes, ma'am, I have cords of wood for sale, where are you located, what town"? As soon as the customer says the town, you should have the page setup right there on your computer, type in the town or zipcode, mash enter, bam, a second later you have a driving distance from your yard. Anything past whatever you choose, say ten or fifteen miles, add a sum to that, whatever you think is fair, a buck a mile say.

Everyone today understands driving costs and fuel costs, if they don't, you really won't want them as a customer anyway, they will most likely give you grief on something else.

Back when I was working for some firewood folks, half their business was local, mostly word of mouth, the other half was oddly enough in your neck of the woods, delivering bundles to upscale apartments with fireplaces in beanerville. That paid quite well, like five times more than what selling by the cord did, because delivery was up to and including carrying bundles up elevators right into folks apartments. We wouldn't do *one* bundle, but if they took like at least five or so, we'd do it, just did a route around town and dropped them off. Gave us an excuse to go into boston and have some fun and have some cash when we got there as well....

...just add a delivery charge past your close-by cutoff point for free delivery. They can say yes or no then, you are right there on the phone with them, easy enough to quick whip out the google or yahoo or mapquest mapping thing. "Yes, ma'am, I have cords of wood for sale, where are you located, what town"? As soon as the customer says the town, you should have the page setup right there on your computer, type in the town or zipcode, mash enter, bam, a second later you have a driving distance from your yard. Anything past whatever you choose, say ten or fifteen miles, add a sum to that, whatever you think is fair, a buck a mile say.

Everyone today understands driving costs and fuel costs, if they don't, you really won't want them as a customer anyway, they will most likely give you grief on something else.

Back when I was working for some firewood folks, half their business was local, mostly word of mouth, the other half was oddly enough in your neck of the woods, delivering bundles to upscale apartments with fireplaces in beanerville. That paid quite well, like five times more than what selling by the cord did, because delivery was up to and including carrying bundles up elevators right into folks apartments. We wouldn't do *one* bundle, but if they took like at least five or so, we'd do it, just did a route around town and dropped them off. Gave us an excuse to go into boston and have some fun and have some cash when we got there as well....

Solid advice here. In your area it might be worth it to sell all your cutoffs/oddball pieces in small boxes for chiminea fires...say a standard liqour box full. Last year for every cord I sold I also gave them a box full of splitter turds for kindling...every one of those customers has called me back this year. Sure my firepit doesn't get the workout it got previously but then I'd rather have the phone calls

Back