Advice from the older wiser crowd.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have forced hot air in my little 1200 sq foot house. I bought a Hotblast 1537G stove few years back and never use my current Thermopride furnace. Since my basement/Garage is small I was thinking about trying to sell the thermopride and upgrade when I get the money to either a small boiler or on demand boiler/water heater. Money is tight these days. I do plan on Building a larger garage in the next couple years. So my question is:

Leave the furnace alone, Pull it and put it in the shed, Save it till I get a garage, Sell it and use that money towards a new setup.

I woud keep that sucker right where it is. Having a back up is priceless! There have been several times over the years where we were gone on vacation or for the weekend that we needed to run the oil. Also when you have the flu it's tough to get off the couch and go out in the cold to get more wood. 4 winters on one tank of oil but I will need to get it filled soon but who cares! Get something later on for the garage like a used unit from someone who is upgrading or a propane unit.

my home has hot water baseboard heat and i hate it. (i haven't used it in years because i now heat with wood)

if i ever have the chance, i'd rip it out, sell the boiler, sell the copper and go with forced air gas heat.

My garage basement is L shaped. The furnace is smack in the middle of the long part. I wanted to put my hot water heater, Well tank/Pump, and on demand water heater on one of the walls. I have two 100lbs+ (One is 143) dogs, and old house and the dirt seems endless. I had big old radiators in my old house and actually liked them. I thought I might be able to put a loop or two in my Hotblast and get some radiator heat out of it. When you have a tiny house you just try to figure out how to get more room out of it. The reason I was asking about the oil furnace is if I have any chance of selling it, now is the time.

KEEP IT!!!!

Thermopride is probably the best and heaviest (heat exchanger thickness-wise)oil furnace ever made. I sold many of them. I would keep it either as a backup, or use in the garage.

I woud keep that sucker right where it is. Having a back up is priceless! There have been several times over the years where we were gone on vacation or for the weekend that we needed to run the oil. Also when you have the flu it's tough to get off the couch and go out in the cold to get more wood. 4 winters on one tank of oil but I will need to get it filled soon but who cares! Get something later on for the garage like a used unit from someone who is upgrading or a propane unit.

Especially if it is forced air. Nothing like keeping the "it's cold in here" from escalating by turning it on in the morning while you get the stove cranked up.

In this drafty house I have even been using mine as a 'help' on windy, cold days. Never did that before but she is now 75% disabled.

Harry K

That's my way of thinking too.

Latest posts

Back