Advice needed on safely falling hung up trees???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oleguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Part of my wood lot so thick that cutting down trees leaves them hung up with the tops caught on other trees. Frankly scares the !!!! out of me. Anyone got a suggestion on a relatively safe method of bringing these hung up trees to the ground without taking down nearby trees.
Thanks

Part of my wood lot so thick that cutting down trees leaves them hung up with the tops caught on other trees. Frankly scares the !!!! out of me. Anyone got a suggestion on a relatively safe method of bringing these hung up trees to the ground without taking down nearby trees.
Thanks

Only safe way I know is to try tugging it down with a cable and staying well away from anywhere the tree can fall. Widow-makers are not to be messed with unless you have a death wish IMO.

Thanks

We call that "Limb Locked". The best way is to get a faller buncher in there. I've done some work in a tight stand of young Doug firs. A few will hit the ground. The others get hung up so we get a tractor and a long chain and hook on and have to pull the tree out. These are small, about 8" average diameter.

Another way is to work in from an opening. You have to be comfy with directional falling and work from the opening in, and keep making the space big enough to fall the other trees into. That might be more than you want to cut. That's all I know and I am a retired forester, not a :bowdown: faller.

Hello,
When I get one hung up, I use my skid steer and a long chain wrapped around the base of the tree......then just start pulling !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Do it the safe way... with a snag block or pulley chained to another tree opposite to the fall zone. Tractor and a stout rope at the base, she'll pull outta there.

I have freed smallish hung trees by cutting 'em into short logs, starting at the base. Make a cut underneath first, a few inches in. Then finish the cut from above. Be very careful doing this... the butt will drop to the ground and possibly roll the rest of the tree.

Once you have a clearing made, felling will become much easier. :)

Latest posts

Back