I need help falling this tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw-Hans

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello from Germany đź‘‹
I need help falling this tree the tree went down in a storm and is still attached on the root it is on the house and caught up in two trees ( sidenote, the house is trash anyway, so it’s not important )

Does anyone have any advices?

Attachments

• IMG_7185.jpeg
    IMG_7185.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7186.jpeg
    IMG_7186.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
Can you get a truck or tractor near it? If so, It would be safest to get a stout rope in it in the top 1/3 of the tree and pull it off the building, if it will go.
Thanks for the reply!
It probably won’t work there’s a river separating the land from the road. Do you think just a rope pull system would work?

The photo shows and read my property and in blue where the tree is, you can see in the on the bottom, the only road.

Attachments

• IMG_7198.jpeg
    IMG_7198.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 0
I would use a polesaw to safely remove the part of the tree that's extended over the roof.
With it tangled in those 2 trees, that's a high risk cut. Much better to attack it at the stump, at ground level, and then reassess. And Hans, make sure your escape paths are clear! Lots of junk in the way there.

With it tangled in those 2 trees, that's a high risk cut. Much better to attack it at the stump, at ground level, and then reassess. And Hans, make sure your escape paths are clear! Lots of junk in the way there.
I'm using my Silky or Jameson polesaw and I'm at least 20' or more away from the tree at the point of cut. How is that a high risk cut? From my POV I'm removing a big tension before using a power saw next to a large tensioned tree.

I'm using my Silky or Jameson polesaw and I'm at least 20' or more away from the tree at the point of cut. How is that a high risk cut? From my POV I'm removing a big tension before using a power saw next to a large tensioned tree.
Your going to cut that trunk with a silky? Have fun. Not to mention, what are the odds Ole Hans has a silky or just poles. This is the homeowners helper forum.

Hello from Germany đź‘‹
I need help falling this tree the tree went down in a storm and is still attached on the root it is on the house and caught up in two trees ( sidenote, the house is trash anyway, so it’s not important )

Does anyone have any advices?
Call a pro and just have him get it down and pay him for a couple of hours before you get hurt!

Start reading posts before you comment on them
Yeah, I read your post. He doesn't have a silky or jpoles. He's a homeowner. He has a Husky 120 to work with. I'd much rather have him at the stump on that one with an escape path than trying to release that with a pole saw.

Possibly, if you have a good anchor point to set up a pulley system to get some mechanical advantage. Cutting it free from the stump is the next step, but it takes a lot of experience to read the forces acting on the tree and stump... very dangerous.
Thanks for all the device. Woud you cut the stump first or try pull it of the roof first ?

Thanks for all the device. Woud you cut the stump first or try pull it of the roof first ?
It depends on your equipment set and experience. Understand, there is a tremendous amount of stored energy in that tree and stump, especially considering the fact that the top is tangled up in those standing trees. If you have access to ropes and blocks, I would recommend setting a line and trying to pull it off of the house and get it on the ground, but that depends on how tangled it is in those tops... can't really tell from the pics. The reason I recommend this is it keeps you the furthest from the danger zone. This approach has the risk of actually compounding the forces at the stump, but gets the rest of the tree where it is more safely accessible to whittle from the top down. The problem is if you are unable to get it off the roof and untangled from the other trees with a block and tackle you will actually compound the forces involved. Lone wolf is right, to be honest. Your smartest move is to hire a pro, spend a couple hundred euros, and learn from watching. This is an equation with a lot of variables, and it takes a lot of trees to be able to do this as safely as possible. Understand, there is no safe way to cut this tree, just as safe as possible.

I don't see a big tangle in the trees. We really should have pictures from several angles before giving too much strong advice as to whether to cut it loose from the grouned or up on the roof. Given that the tree is already straddling the roof, I don't think there is much to be gained by cutting it loose at the ground level first. After the tree is free of the stump, you still need to get it off the roof, and I don't see any advantage to make it unpredictably loose.

I don't see any lean or crumpling on that shed. I would be inclined to trim the branches off the trunk where they would fall harmlessly onto the roof, after which I would cut off the trunk extending beyond the roof line. That is presuming that there is not much of value in the drop zone. After that, cut small enough chunks to roll off the garage, or cut it loose from the stump and see if you can get it to roll off of the roof in one big chunk. You said you didn't care about the roof, right?

We don't have good pictures of the root ball. Some of the comments here have been presuming that the root ball might cause the tree to stand back up when the tree trunk is cut away. While possible, I don't think that will happen in this case. Better pics would help.

Along with more pics, perhaps a good reason why anything needs to be done.
This part of the OP's property appears overgrown and unused. So...why OP and what are the short and long term plans for this area?

An afterthought: If it was just me, and there were concerns about what was beneath the overhanging tree?

I think I'd just walk up the tree a good long ways and casually cut parts off a little at a time until the tree was on the ground. In general, I don't like being up in broken over trees, but that one looks pretty well propped up. Besides! It gets less likely to break or fall with every branch you cut off, right? Leave a few vertical branches to hang on to, and just remove more weight from the trunk than you happen to be walking past in branches-weight.

That's probably not a good idea for just the average joe hanging on to his homeowner saw. That aerial chainsaw operation involves so much more risk than you can understand, and I don't recommend trying it unless you are willing to accept the risk of death or a really nasty injury.

I would wait till the snow melts and reassess. jmho :cool: OT
I live in north Germany the snow that you see ist probably the only one for this winter next week we will have 11 degrees Celsius so 51,8 F then I can send new photos đź‘Ť

Thanks for all the replies and help! I’m very greatly

Latest posts

Back