Silver Maple near Driveway - 50/50 fall risk. 2nd opinion.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonslayer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have had 2 arborists give me a 50/50 chance this tree will fall on my house and rated it as medium risk. That type of assessment bothers me because it essentially says " I don't know flip a coin"MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg

Do you think I should have this tree removed?

I am concerned about the root purchase of the tree considering that the right side of the trunk must grab underneath my neighbors driveway and I dont see evidence of a lateral running support root toward their house (right).
Given the co-dominate trunks, there is a large stress concentration at the V notch which makes me sweat every time a big storm rolls through.

Hasn’t fallen down yet, right?

I know some folks take the view that the answer is always to cut it down. It’s a shame, really. If it was mine, and assuming there aren’t signs of decay in the crotch or the elsewhere, I’d want to see what options there were for cabling.
True. My car sunroofs/windshields have caught the falling branches thus far but I am sweating over the thought of my roof being next.

With respect to cabling, are you referring to cables connecting both trunks together or cables to adjacent trees?

That tree is going to fail and do some serious personal injury and property damage.

In just a short matter of time, too, IMO.

There is not enough room for that tree.

It's owner needs to get it out of there and the neighbor needs good photo documention for when their insurance goes after the tree owners insurance. I think the arborist that said 50/50 chance of failure are also putting themselves at risk.

That tree is going to fail and do some serious personal injury and property damage.

In just a short matter of time, too, IMO.

There is not enough room for that tree.

It's owner needs to get it out of there and the neighbor needs good photo documention for when their insurance goes after the tree owners insurance. I think the arborist that said 50/50 chance of failure are also putting themselves at risk.

Thank you for the feedback

I see two problems. 1. The tree is in a very poor location - which came first, the tree or the driveway? If the driveway was added later, were roots cut to make room? 2. I see several spots where fairly large branches were cut off. It is a silver maple, slow to compartmentalize wounds and prone to rot where the large branches were removed. The rot will work it's way down into the trunk, weakening it. I hate to remove a healthy tree but as it gets larger, it will cost more to remove it.

I see two problems. 1. The tree is in a very poor location - which came first, the tree or the driveway? If the driveway was added later, were roots cut to make room? 2. I see several spots where fairly large branches were cut off. It is a silver maple, slow to compartmentalize wounds and prone to rot where the large branches were removed. The rot will work it's way down into the trunk, weakening it. I hate to remove a healthy tree but as it gets larger, it will cost more to remove it.
Driveway probably came first. thanks for your input.

👍

That pretty much covers what is going on with the tree. The greatest risk is from the left half of the tree, and I don't see any way to discern whose tree it is. Looks like a property line conflict to me.

Unknown: Why do you want to keep the risky tree? All trees fail eventually, but we don't know why you wish to keep it. If it is a matter of money, take out the side leaning over your half. Let the neighbor worry about his half. The job of total removal will be cheaper, though, if you do both halves at the same time.

On the other hand, if you really like the tree and wish to extend its life, mitigate the risk by cabling both halves together, but make sure it is professionally done.

Looks like the roots are raising parts of the driveway on the left, and there's a slope to the right.
As a homeowner, I love trees, but I'd have that one removed if I lived there.
Trees are a lot heavier than they look

how much black staining do you see at the crotch, running down to the base? being you are in Michigan; you are getting snow and ice and rain laying in that crotch causing it to possible rot. you could always have it professionally cabled to prolong the life, but being it has cement driveways on either side, that doesn't help the life of the root system either. If it was me, I would have it removed.

how much black staining do you see at the crotch, running down to the base? being you are in Michigan; you are getting snow and ice and rain laying in that crotch causing it to possible rot. you could always have it professionally cabled to prolong the life, but being it has cement driveways on either side, that doesn't help the life of the root system either. If it was me, I would have it removed.
MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg

👍

That pretty much covers what is going on with the tree. The greatest risk is from the left half of the tree, and I don't see any way to discern whose tree it is. Looks like a property line conflict to me.

Unknown: Why do you want to keep the risky tree? All trees fail eventually, but we don't know why you wish to keep it. If it is a matter of money, take out the side leaning over your half. Let the neighbor worry about his half. The job of total removal will be cheaper, though, if you do both halves at the same time.

On the other hand, if you really like the tree and wish to extend its life, mitigate the risk by cabling both halves together, but make sure it is professionally done.
It is a matter of money. The property line is represented by the left edge of the driveway of the house on the right. The tree lives within the parcel of the home on the left.

It is a matter of money. The property line is represented by the left edge of the driveway of the house on the right. The tree lives within the parcel of the home on the left.
The tree has been over pruned for roof clearance putting all of the wind force at the top 1/3 of the canopy. Root zone is limited, but the buttress roots looks healthy.
From the pictures (and I will say again "from the pictures") I would be comfortable installing a 5/16" cable in the upper canopy and 3-4 through rods at the crotch. $800-$1000 cost.
I don't have the patience any more to rig those tops in between the houses so I bringing a crane in for a removal and it would be done and cleaned up in 3 hours, $4250. As long as there is room for the swing.
Whoever you have do anything, get a certificate of insurance. Especially from the cheap guys. If you want to retain the tree, call a company that specializes in retention and not removal.

The tree has been over pruned for roof clearance putting all of the wind force at the top 1/3 of the canopy. Root zone is limited, but the buttress roots looks healthy.
From the pictures (and I will say again "from the pictures") I would be comfortable installing a 5/16" cable in the upper canopy and 3-4 through rods at the crotch. $800-$1000 cost.
I don't have the patience any more to rig those tops in between the houses so I bringing a crane in for a removal and it would be done and cleaned up in 3 hours, $4250. As long as there is room for the swing.
Whoever you have do anything, get a certificate of insurance. Especially from the cheap guys. If you want to retain the tree, call a company that specializes in retention and not removal.
thank you appreciate the tips

for reference here are some quotes so far

$4000- (3100 cut/900 grind stump) *crane
$4200- (3800 cut/400 grind stump)
$5200- (4400 cut/800 grind stump) *crane

for reference here are some quotes so far

$4000- (3100 cut/900 grind stump) *crane
$4200- (3800 cut/400 grind stump)
$5200- (4400 cut/800 grind stump) *crane
Sounds right where I was thinking. Let them know you would like an insurance certificate with your name on it emailed to you from their insurance company. That will weed out any bad ones. If they balk at that, you will know.

Back