Advice on adding a baffle to my homemade owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumminstinkerer

addicted to making my boiler run clean
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a baffle and some upper air to my homemade boiler it is a mild steel structure but has been in operation for three years, I'm looking to improve efficiency and clean it up a bit more. the fire box is 30"x30"x30" flue is 8" centered with a 2"x8" box underneath that runs to within 1/1/2" of the rear wall. it is forced draft with a Honeywell damper actuator on a butterfly valve in the supply air line post blower. it all works well but I know it has more potential and I like tinkering as my screenname implies. when I open the door with the draft fan running I get awesome blue and orange flames along the top, I'm thinking if I add a baffle and preheated upper air injection I could get this to with the door closed. any input would be great and I will try my best to answer any questions. Thanks

It works, I added a 2nd blower to mine but only open the damper about a 1/4" when the stack reaches 150 Deg.

some pics would help to put an image with it. here is my owb baffle system. maybe it will give you some ideas.

thanks guys for the input I cant really get any good pics but ill give it a shot. I'm thinking I will run 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x1/8'" angle down the sides welded to the wall then weld two piece together to make a Tee cut about a 1/4-1/2" short of the span between thoe sides and just lay them on top of the side angles then set the fire bricks (4.5x9x1.25) in between the Tees up to about 22 1/2" inches from the rear wall, fire box is 30"x30"

It works, I added a 2nd blower to mine but only open the damper about a 1/4" when the stack reaches 150 Deg.
pm me sometime id like to talk a bit more in detail I have plenty of blower and have it ducted with pvc from its mounting location, planning on running a wye off to feed secondary air with a solenoid actuated butterfly valve in line to control secondary ignition timing

I got the baffle in, it seems to have cut down on the smoke and definitely has reduced wood usage, but I'm only a day and half in with it. I haven't got the secondary air in yet not enough time with a sick wife and my daughter being there. also haven't got the design finalized yet. hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get the design done and get a couple warm days in a row so I can shut down and install the secondary air tubes.

Back