Advice on Fireplace Inserts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rguseman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After a couple of years of trying to figure out whether we wanted to go woodstove, wood furnace or fireplace insert, we decided to go fireplace insert. I have a couple of guys coming in over the next couple of weeks to give me estimates. I am leaning toward a Quadrafire (either the 3100 or 4100) but one of the guys is not a Quadrafire dealer so he will pricing out a Vermont Castings model and a Regency model. Just wanted to get your general thoughts on these three brands or any other brands you might want to suggest.

I've had a Regency for 20 years and no problems. I did make my own grate that is a custom fit, rather than just a regular store-bought one.

After a couple of years of trying to figure out whether we wanted to go woodstove, wood furnace or fireplace insert, we decided to go fireplace insert. I have a couple of guys coming in over the next couple of weeks to give me estimates. I am leaning toward a Quadrafire (either the 3100 or 4100) but one of the guys is not a Quadrafire dealer so he will pricing out a Vermont Castings model and a Regency model. Just wanted to get your general thoughts on these three brands or any other brands you might want to suggest.

I have a little dutch western that puts out AMAZING amount of heat, only problem is the burn time stinks due to it's size. I really would like to go with the quadrafire so I don't have to get up at 2 am to reload. THINK BIG.

Have you looked at the Jotul Oslo?
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-500-Oslo/
F500_BBE_01_prod.jpg

A side loading door and a 22" log make it a winner. I think you can convert it to a fireplace installation so that you get a good compromise between a free-standing wood stove and an insert. Remember that the more iron that is exposed to the room air, the more heat that stays in the room. You also get a cook top. Extending the hearth out a little is a small sacrifice.

I got a Pacific Energy. It's the medium model and heats 2,000 sq feet. If I had the room in my firebox, I would have gotten the Summit model. It heats 3,000 sq feet and has an extended burn time of 8 hours. Here's a pic of mine in action. I would look at the weight of the insert. If the one you are buying is under 300lbs, I wouldn't go for it. The second photo is of me cleaning the chimney. Look at the fun you are in for! Kidding aside, I wouldn't give up my insert for no money. I cut my oil comsumption in half and have a great back up if my furnace dies in the winter (like it did one morning at 3:00am in February when the temp was 6 above zero).

Can't go wrong with a Quadrafire...

We have the 3100 and will be entering our 3rd year of use with it and we're very happy with it. We thought long and hard on a free standing stove but decided on the insert and it's worked out very well! Get as much info as you can before you plunk down your hard earned money and I wish you the best.:greenchainsaw:

I got a Pacific Energy. It's the medium model and heats 2,000 sq feet. If I had the room in my firebox, I would have gotten the Summit model. It heats 3,000 sq feet and has an extended burn time of 8 hours. Here's a pic of mine in action. I would look at the weight of the insert. If the one you are buying is under 300lbs, I wouldn't go for it. The second photo is of me cleaning the chimney. Look at the fun you are in for! Kidding aside, I wouldn't give up my insert for no money. I cut my oil comsumption in half and have a great back up if my furnace dies in the winter (like it did one morning at 3:00am in February when the temp was 6 above zero).

Not to pick on you at all.
Instead of a stove that has no ducting to move heat throughout a 3000 s/f home why not get a furnace to heat the whole home and have zero oil bill?
Our SJ125 can do that for $2248.

The other thing is that those stove companies rate them like you said for 3000 s/f.... how hot does the main room get when your trying to heat the whole home?
If you can get 8 hour burn times.....why would it be back up instead of the other way around....let the wood be the primary source of heat and the oil be on standby?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the stove way of thinking is all....sorry but I'm just asking...

Maybe because I live in Mn. where we see many 10-30 below zero days.... that makes me want more heat. I suppose if you lived in a more mild climate a guy could get away with a stove.

Last edited:
Crappie,
Not to debate you, because like everything in life: everyone is entitled to their opinion. And you have a product to sell; and it may be a very fine product.
I speak for my case. I bought this house new with a fireplace and a oil-fired furnace and hot-water heater. I didn't want to spend a ton of money retrofitting ducts and pipes.
At any rate, the new wave of heating for the future will be geo-thermal. You don't need any wood, oil, or propane for heat. It comes from the ground--free. Having said that, and I have a neighbor who is building a new house with this system. I've been buggin him to still install a wood stove. For me, there is no better way to relax, than to sit in front a fire and watch it burn. And as anything man made can break: a wood stove is always a reliable backup source for heat when the main system breaks.

I have an Osburn fireplace insert. They are not extremely popular, but they are reasonable priced. See if you have a dealer around you, and take a look at them. I would go with the largest unit/firebox you can afford.

There is also a site called ********** that is all about people, and their love for wood stoves. I learned a wealth of information there regarding wood stoves and inserts.

Latest posts

Back