Advice on modding muffler / Husky 120 mark ii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading through these forums for several weeks now, and it's quite clear that a lot of you have absurd amounts of chainsaw knowledge.

I'll try to keep it brief; I got out of the military after 10 years back in March, and well, the pandemic really messed things up for me. Long story short, I'm making the best of it; bought a small cabin in Vermont and have been hanging out with my dog enjoying the mountains.

I went off and bought a Husky 120 mark ii; I know it's a small saw; it's all I (thought) I needed for cutting firewood for my wood stove...bunch of felled hardwood on my property from the previous owner...mostly smaller, 8-12" diameter...and it cuts okay, but not great...and quite frankly, I'm not currently in a position to go out and spend more money on a bigger saw, although that's the plan down the road...and optimistically keeping an eye on Craigslist as well.

So I've read up a lot on here about muffler mods, but can't find anything specific to the 120mk2...Has anyone modded the exhaust on one of these guys? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have a pretty good setup as far as tools go. So far, I've tuned the carb a tad, it seemed a bit rich out of the box. Other than that, haven't touched anything else yet.

I was looking at the muffler last night and from what I see, I'm thinking that removing the steel tubes that the mounting bolts go through and cutting a couple of slits lengthwise with a dremel would open it up fairly well...any thoughts?

I know this thing is a toy compared to what most of you guys run, but any advice would be appreciated.

Also, sorry for the essay!

Thanks!

Just to follow up, these are the shaft tube things I'm talking about...there's 2 of them.

Attachments

• 20201110_155547.jpg
    20201110_155547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I'd just enlarge the outlet a little, and keep those tubes in place since they help support the muffler I believe.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how much is 'a little'?

Also, I've attached some more pics...one with the deflector and spark screen on, then one with them off, followed by one with one of the bolts out to show you the baffle.

I'm assuming that when you say outlet, you're referring to the 2 slits on the top and bottom? Do you think the baffle is going to be restrictive and need some opening as well? It's a one piece muffler so I'd have to get creative to be able to open that up...that's why I asked about the tube things; I wouldn't remove them, just put a cut lengthwise into it, as that hole would bypass the baffle completely...(As marked with red sharpie in pic 4)...just a thought.

Thanks again for your patience and help!

Attachments

• 20201110_173349.jpg
    20201110_173349.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20201110_173852.jpg
    20201110_173852.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20201110_173936.jpg
    20201110_173936.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20201110_173130.jpg
    20201110_173130.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how much is 'a little'?

Also, I've attached some more pics...one with the deflector and spark screen on, then one with them off, followed by one with one of the bolts out to show you the baffle.

I'm assuming that when you say outlet, you're referring to the 2 slits on the top and bottom? Do you think the baffle is going to be restrictive and need some opening as well? It's a one piece muffler so I'd have to get creative to be able to open that up...that's why I asked about the tube things; I wouldn't remove them, just put a cut lengthwise into it, as that hole would bypass the baffle completely...(As marked with red sharpie in pic 4)...just a thought.

Thanks again for your patience and help!

Thats a good way to do it without adding any holes to the muffler. After doing this you will probably need to richen up the fuel mixture.

Not to change the subject, but, what are you running for a chain? Are you throwing good chips?

91vxl here...on a 3/8lp I haven't found any better options, but I'm open to suggestions... The vxl does okay by me though

So I did as planned and cut 3 slits into each tube...had to retune the carb... Worked wonders, it's not too much louder either...and it runs like a raped ape, for what it is anyways.

Not sure what your looking for on CL, i have a couple really nice saws for sale on there, much larger and would probably fit your pocketbook better than new. Where in VT are you at?

Not sure what your looking for on CL, i have a couple really nice saws for sale on there, much larger and would probably fit your pocketbook better than new. Where in VT are you at?
I'm in the Mad River area, but have plenty of time on my hands to drive out to you if need be. What do you have up for sale? (Is it the husky / stihl combo?)

I'm in the Mad River area, but have plenty of time on my hands to drive out to you if need be. What do you have up for sale? (Is it the husky / stihl combo?)
I have a husky at 562xp and a 440 with 2 bars and a fresh tuneup for 600

Don't waste your time on Craigslist looking for a saw. Most saws on there are overpriced, and half of them are junk. You'll get a better saw for less money if you post a want to buy ad in the Tradin Post on here when you're ready to buy.

I think Stihl PS3 (or PS if you're confident you don't need the safety) chain is a little faster, so if you don't already have a spare chain, get the Stihl and keep the Oregon as a backup for cutting dirty wood.

Hi all, I've been reading through these forums for several weeks now, and it's quite clear that a lot of you have absurd amounts of chainsaw knowledge.

I'll try to keep it brief; I got out of the military after 10 years back in March, and well, the pandemic really messed things up for me. Long story short, I'm making the best of it; bought a small cabin in Vermont and have been hanging out with my dog enjoying the mountains.

I went off and bought a Husky 120 mark ii; I know it's a small saw; it's all I (thought) I needed for cutting firewood for my wood stove...bunch of felled hardwood on my property from the previous owner...mostly smaller, 8-12" diameter...and it cuts okay, but not great...and quite frankly, I'm not currently in a position to go out and spend more money on a bigger saw, although that's the plan down the road...and optimistically keeping an eye on Craigslist as well.

So I've read up a lot on here about muffler mods, but can't find anything specific to the 120mk2...Has anyone modded the exhaust on one of these guys? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have a pretty good setup as far as tools go. So far, I've tuned the carb a tad, it seemed a bit rich out of the box. Other than that, haven't touched anything else yet.

I was looking at the muffler last night and from what I see, I'm thinking that removing the steel tubes that the mounting bolts go through and cutting a couple of slits lengthwise with a dremel would open it up fairly well...any thoughts?

I know this thing is a toy compared to what most of you guys run, but any advice would be appreciated.

Also, sorry for the essay!

Thanks!
Hello tommy88 I’m new on this site, I was searching for a muffler mod on my new Husqvarna 120 mark ii. I wanted to try what you showed in the picture but I ended up doing it a little different and i wanted to share what I did.

You can see on the first picture what I was able to pull out without having to cut it open since it was welded or something like that.
I simply took a dremel to the hols that you see inside the muffler if you look from the engine site and cut them then you can wiggle the rest of the pice to one site and twist and pull withe pliers and pull it out.
It’s super simple and makes a good saw even better. I hat to give the saw a bit more fuel but now it’s runs super good and cuts wood way faster.
I also cut a new hole in the cover plate. Also I still run it withe the screen inside.
Hope it will held.
Love from Germany

Attachments

• IMG_7129.jpeg
    IMG_7129.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7130.jpeg
    IMG_7130.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7131.jpeg
    IMG_7131.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1