Advice Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squishaxq

Reaction score
Hey

I am from the UK, come to canada in search of a new home and career. I am struggling on who to contact and how to get into the profession. Would love to become a tree feller. Love the outdoors and want to live and work in the outdoors. Please help me! what do I do?

Now, I'm no expert but here's what I would do; Get ahold of some of the local mills and find out about some of the local logging companies, names locations, reputations, etc... Get ahold of said logging outfits and just talk to them, tell them about yourself and your related experiences (if any) and your goals. See if they are hiring or know of someone who is. Talk to as many people as you can. Now mind you, you will probably have to start at the bottom of the totem pole and work your way up. Felling is learned by experience (along with guidance and advice from vetrans). If you want to be a contract faller, than you are gonna have to put alot of time in the woods with some pros and learn all you can and then hope you get a shot to show off your new found talent, and build a reputation for yourself.

Others mileage may vary,
Just my $.02

Tom

The best way is to buy a salvage permit from the B.C. Forest Service. Minimum purchase is 100 cubic metres which is 30 some odd cords.This will cost you about 50$.
Starting small and doing a good job is your best bet, such asfalling and bucking in the bush and bringing the wood out in a trailer on an ATV as firewood. The Forest Service will usually allow you to GPS the area you wish to cut in and issue a salvage permit accordingly. The 100 cubic metres have to taken out within one year of the date the permit was issued.
As far as certification is concerned you need to prove 2 years experience in the bush (not casual) and then apply for your certification along with a cheque for 1400.00 to be tested by someone whom usually doesn't work in the bush at all.
Although the Forest Service isn't in bed with BC Safety Council they are obligated to let them know where you are working.
Good luck with your endevours. There's no better job than workin in the bush.
John

Another thing worth mentioning here, although some may disagree, is that as a new upstart the regional government forester is you best friend if he/she sees that you can do a better job than the minimum requirements. This means minimal or no damage to the residual stand, clean,open trails, no hangups, no high stumps and brush no higher than one metre and maximum utilization of the wood.
Foresters much prefer to manage the resource than to baby sit the ones who are cutting it. So make their job easy, do a good job and you'll never look back.
John

Latest posts

Back